personal alarms

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
hi thought i would ask my lovely internet family this question.I am a stubborn old *** and been advised it is best to have one of these things around my neck while my son is at work(wont have a mobile phone which does my boys nut in) to me its another step down the road of giving in,should i get one which my cpn/psycologist/support workers all advise would be for the best as i have had a few falls at home lately and then confusion reigns.
Sorry for again being long winded but not to clever on these computer things and i know 'you' will have some sound advice

love you all on here and have a great new year

ossie 10 xx

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
I'd say definitely, abosolutely have the alarm Ossie. I feel so much better knowing that my parents have one and that there is someone on the end of it who can get help to them 24/7 if necessary. It isn't at all intrusive (unlike a mobile phone!) - most of the time you can just forget about it - but when it is needed it is invaluable.

Some peace of mind for you and your son. Priceless!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You're not giving in, you're making sure you're safe. Please spare your family the worry, and wear the alarm.

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi. Yes you should get an alarm. Try not to think of it as giving in, try to think of it as giving your boys some peace of mind and making them feel happy.
If anyone asks what it is just say you wear it to keep your boys happy.
It's good to try and make other people happy. Best wishes xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ossie10
do have the alert pendant, it won't be a bother to you and it will give some peace of mind to your son
it helped me and dad out a few times - he got himself into a pickle once and pressed the alarm - that triggered a phone call to the carephone base in his hallway (loud enough to be heard all over his house) and the operator talked with dad to help him, while the call centre also called me, so I went round to help him out - if I hadn't been available, the operator would have called an ambulance for him too
so, you can see it is worth having for 'just in case'
whilst they installed the alert system, the Local Authority also put in a door alert linked up to it, so that if dad went out between certain times it was triggered and the operator spoke to him and called me; it saved his bacon one time when he went out in the cold in just his pjs
as for the mobile - why not just have that too - you don't need to use it or give the number to anyone else but your son - he can then call you wherever you are if he needs to - maybe he's late one evening and a quick call will stop you worrying - dad had a very small one which I kept charged up for him - he wore it in his shirt/pjs pocket every day and left it on his bedside table at night - again it was 'just in case' but actually he learnt how to text and sent me some just to be in touch (they were hilarious as his typing wasn't good and he didn't always quite put what he meant to; which gave us both a chuckle when we read them over together!)
just the fact that dad had these measures in place meant that when I was at work I wasn't worrying about him all the time - your son deserves that peace of mind
how come we will all accept other stuff that helps us out eg smoke alarms, electricity cut outs between the mower and the power supply, but a personal alert is an intrusion??
best wishes

Last edited:

Zana

May 12, 2016
Please dont view it as an intrusion.
Its a peace of mind for your loved ones..

Im a fit and able bodied 52 year old with a smart phone. Every now and then I want to dump the darn thing in the canal. Walking with the the dog is me time.. I want peace and I hate the idea of intrusion while I trek through the woods or over the common, but as OH pointed out if something happened to me , a fall, an attack or even if the car broke down while I was out at least he feels happier knowing I could summon help.

We wouldnt think twice about demanding that a teenager phone when they arrived somewhere safely just to give us peace of mind but somehow when the roles are reversed we feel our independance is being threatened..

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
i knew i could rely on you on here to be honest and caring.Thank you so much for the advice and views and i will go ahead and tell my carers/CPN/son that the alarm is the way forward.
Thanks again for all your help and advice,dont know where i would be without you lots

have a great new year

love ossie 10