Person CentredCare

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
I think "café plan" is one of those confusing expressions that means two different things.
The kind of care plan Jorbin is talking about is used by care homes and companies so their staff have a knowledge and understanding of the person, anyone not using professional care has no need of one as any help they get from family or friends is from somebody who already knows them, they already know "history, lifestyle, culture and preferences, including their likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests" where a professional carer won't, hence it is documented.
The kind of care plan Ann talks about is something GP's do for people usually with multiple medical conditions. I had a meeting with her GP and decisions were made about what and how far her various conditions would be treated. She had a cataract in one eye, operate or not, she had kidney stones, again operate or not, she has some form of dementia do we do all the test and scans or let nature take its course? It was not end of life care but it was a plan what was and wasn't going to be done in the future should various things happen.
My mum still had some capacity then and made it clear she didn't want any hospital stays or operations no matter what so that was the care plan.
It's a totally different thing to the one Jorbin quotes from which is for when people either need carers or go into a care home.
K

K. Thank you for taking the time to make it clearer ...A x

Clemie

Jul 9, 2018
Check with terms and conditions of the care home. They usually state when the care plans should be reviewed, which is of course best practise as needs change.
At my mothers home, several Managerial changes meant these were overlooked, or I was just told nothing had changed since the last one & asked to sign that I'd seen it.
Don't be tempted to rush this, as the plans may be referred to later in annual DOLS assessments or for FNC/CNC
Another new manager has now introduced yearly meetings with a relative to review & sign plans - although I feel it is just a tick box exercise & it looks good when CQC visit!
They do look impatient when you actually want to study what they have put!
Has anyone ever asked for a copy or photographer a care plan for future reference?