Person CentredCare

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
The key points of person-centred care
  • Treating the person with dignity and respect
  • understanding their history, lifestyle, culture and preferences, including their likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests
  • looking at situations from the point of view of the person with dementia
  • providing opportunities for the person to have conversations and relationships with other people
  • ensuring the person has the chance to try new things or take part in activities they enjoy.
Family, carers and the person with dementia (where possible) should always be involved in developing a care plan based on person-centred care.

Their knowledge and understanding of the person is extremely valuable to make sure the care plan is right for them.

Do other people have a plan like this?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Not only does my husband have a written plan based on this, but I see it in practice at his care home. Every member of staff, from the domestic, to restaurant, and admin, all adhere to this. I expected it from nursing and care staff, but it is everyone and all the time.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Not only does my husband have a written plan based on this, but I see it in practice at his care home. Every member of staff, from the domestic, to restaurant, and admin, all adhere to this. I expected it from nursing and care staff, but it is everyone and all the time.
Can I ask when he received this plan?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
It’s hard to remember exactly, because he had two weeks planned respite ...and he stayed in the home...but I’m pretty sure it was discussed with him during his assessment for staying in the home. So, it was during the respite stay, and then it was discussed with me present too, and slightly adjusted, but mostly it was done just with my husband. It was started with a nurse and then the head of care had input too.
As time has gone on and he has needed more support, it has been adjusted.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Every resident in a care or nursing home should have a care plan. I’m less certain of how closely the salient points of Jorbin’s list are strictly adhered to though especially ‘seeing things through eyes of a person with dementia’. That could prove challenging for carers who have not a lot of experience - and not all do by any means - and time is precious in a busy nursing home. My husband’s nursing home of three years was good but I visited daily, got to know the staff well and tried to ensure everything that should be done was done.
The care plan should be reviewed annually.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Every resident in a care or nursing home should have a care plan. I’m less certain of how closely the salient points of Jorbin’s list are strictly adhered to though especially ‘seeing things through eyes of a person with dementia’. That could prove challenging for carers who have not a lot of experience - and not all do by any means - and time is precious in a busy nursing home. My husband’s nursing home of three years was good but I visited daily, got to know the staff well and tried to ensure everything that should be done was done.
The care plan should be reviewed annually.
So I have to wait until I am in a care home but I want it recorded now.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So I have to wait until I am in a care home but I want it recorded now.
Sorry Jorbin I was really replying to Amethyst’s post I suppose.
I am not certain whom you would should approach for this but depending on your circumstances, I would think that any Care agency if they are involved should have a Care plan personal to you. Also Social Services if they are involved and any medical related matters would surely be discussed with your GP.
Sorry I can’t be of more help but until my husband entered hospital and then went directly to a nursing home after many months, we had no support at home at all apart from an annual visit to the Memory clinic.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jorbin. My husband lived at home with me but he we had Carers to help at home. When we used an agency they had a care plan for him. When I moved to employing our own Carers through direct payments I had a care plan drawn up for him.

I wondered if it would be useful to have a chat with someone at the Helpline. They're open until 4pm today and from 10 to 4 tomorrow. The number is

0300 20222 2022

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I agree, everyone receiving care (whether at home or elsewhere), should have an individual care plan. The quality of these varies, though, as does the implementation.
I like the sound of direct payments, and also of Amethyst’s example, where all the home staff work as a well informed team.
Hope you get what you need, Jorbin

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I agree, everyone receiving care (whether at home or elsewhere), should have an individual care plan. The quality of these varies, though, as does the implementation.
I like the sound of direct payments, and also of Amethyst’s example, where all the home staff work as a well informed team.
Hope you get what you need, Jorbin

I think the intention in every home is that the staff work as informed team but it cannot always be the reality unfortunately. Some care homes that are very small maybe but nursing homes tend to be much larger and staff shortages, use of agency staff and just the sheer volume of work involved means this is not always possible especially when there are lot of very ill residents to care for. The care staff and nurses in my husband ‘s nursing home we’re always very busy at all times and I don’t doubt that some i’s were missed being dotted as did a few t’s being crossed!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I think the intention in every home is that the staff work as informed team but it cannot always be the reality unfortunately. Some care homes that are very small maybe but nursing homes tend to be much larger and staff shortages, use of agency staff and just the sheer volume of work involved means this is not always possible especially when there are lot of very ill residents to care for. The care staff and nurses in my husband ‘s nursing home we’re always very busy at all times and I don’t doubt that some i’s were missed being dotted as did a few t’s being crossed!
Hi Saffie
I agree we have to be realistic - but also never give up on aiming for the best standards - which I’m sure we all want :)

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
My Husband has just received a care plan from our GP I care for him at home, just wondering at what stage of the illness would they decide the patient needed this plan. x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about this Ann. Those responsible for the medical care decide that a stage has been reached where a care plan is required.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about this Ann. Those responsible for the medical care decide that a stage has been reached where a care plan is required.

My husband has Alzheimer’s,Chronic kidney desease,Chronic asthma and had a stroke last December...the dementia was diagnosed a couple of months ago after the stroke but has been steadily and slowly progressing for several years. Have managed but always got fobbed off at surgery. I’m just concerned that all of sudden they think he should have a care plan ...thank you for reading A x

Should have said Alzheimer’s/Vascular.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi Saffie
I agree we have to be realistic - but also never give up on aiming for the best standards - which I’m sure we all want :)
The only way to be sure is to visit often and speak out when anything seems not right. If approached in the right way it doesn’t have to sound like criticism, just concern and most can appreciate that you are only doing your best for your loved one. I had a lovely relationship with the care teams in my husbands nursing home but it took time for me to build up trust. For them too.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Getting back to @Jorbin's original query - I think it would be best to visit the GP and ask if he/she could help in any way.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think "care plan" is one of those confusing expressions that means two different things.
The kind of care plan Jorbin is talking about is used by care homes and companies so their staff have a knowledge and understanding of the person, anyone not using professional care has no need of one as any help they get from family or friends is from somebody who already knows them, they already know "history, lifestyle, culture and preferences, including their likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests" where a professional carer won't, hence it is documented.
The kind of care plan Ann talks about is something GP's do for people usually with multiple medical conditions. I had a meeting with her GP and decisions were made about what and how far her various conditions would be treated. She had a cataract in one eye, operate or not, she had kidney stones, again operate or not, she has some form of dementia do we do all the test and scans or let nature take its course? It was not end of life care but it was a plan what was and wasn't going to be done in the future should various things happen.
My mum still had some capacity then and made it clear she didn't want any hospital stays or operations no matter what so that was the care plan.
It's a totally different thing to the one Jorbin quotes from which is for when people either need carers or go into a care home.
K

Last edited: