Person-centred care for older people in care homes

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Sounds good on paper. Now what Care and nursing homes need to do is implement them!

The brochure for the Care home we have removed my Mum from covers all things suggested in your link but in reality they do none of it. Person centred? Never in a million years at that home.

Some of these places should be done under Trades Description Act as they can write and say what they like and do none of it yet that's what we are paying for.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
People gripe about care homes but I feel really positive about the one my wife's been in for the last 18 months.
Yesterday it was one of the lady's 87th birthday making her 23 years older than my wife and this lady is far mobile, continent and talks all skills my wife has now lost.
As usual there were 7 carers for 28 residents, 3 nurses and the unit supervisor so 10 staff.
Three of the staff who weren't working came in to help out in their own time. The party went well, balloons, cakes, prosecco and all the rest.
How care homes work is down to the ethos of the managers and the staff, in a good home schemes like this aren't needed and bad homes won't join in the first place.
K

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
People gripe about care homes but I feel really positive about the one my wife's been in for the last 18 months.
Yesterday it was one of the lady's 87th birthday making her 23 years older than my wife and this lady is far mobile, continent and talks all skills my wife has now lost.
As usual there were 7 carers for 28 residents, 3 nurses and the unit supervisor so 10 staff.
Three of the staff who weren't working came in to help out in their own time. The party went well, balloons, cakes, prosecco and all the rest.
How care homes work is down to the ethos of the managers and the staff, in a good home schemes like this aren't needed and bad homes won't join in the first place.
K

You and your wife are very fortunate then Kevin to have such a good nursing home. I wish my mother had had that then I wouldn't have to "gripe." I would love nothing more than to report that my Mum received great care but she didn't. Many nights there was one member of staff on for 20 residents and several of those were bedridden. Everything they told me and everything in their brochure is a pack of lies.