Persistent cough

Lincs

Mar 5, 2021
My dad (55) was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s in 2019 and has lived with me (daughter) for around 6 months. He developed an anxious cough early last year but it has got much worse recently - around every 20 seconds whilst he’s awake. If he’s preoccupied it goes away but as soon as he is sat watching the TV it is persistent. If we go anywhere and a person walks near us, he coughs. With the current pandemic he gets a lot of looks as he obviously at 55 does not look as if he has Alzheimer’s. I recently spoke to his neurologist and he advised anti anxiety meds but his GP says they don’t think it’s a good idea. I have tried giving him lots of water, cough sweets and getting him to let out a big cough but he starts again 20 seconds later. Is there anything else I can try or even know someone that has this? The GP says he’s her youngest patient with Alzheimer’s so hasn’t got many suggestions with his whole condition

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Has he had an X-ray?
It’s so easy to blame dementia for so many health issues?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also has anyone considered reflux?

Is he overweight and if so how much ?

Lincs

Mar 5, 2021
He’s not had an X-ray but he does suffer from heartburn. Could this be a cause of a constant cough?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
He’s not had an X-ray but he does suffer from heartburn. Could this be a cause of a constant cough?
Yep!

So, he needs a chest X-ray.
An ECG ( good thinking @TNJJ )
They may prescribe medication for the heartburn, but if you really want to sort it out you need to cure it though diet changes not medication.

Just because someone has dementia it should not stop them getting the same quality of medical care that others receive. Wishing you well .

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Also, it could be a dementia tic, much like throat clearing, nose blowing, whistling or humming but if he does have heartburn, reflux is quite common with it.
Does he ever sound hoarse or like he’s swallowing often? Cough in his sleep?
A GP will often prescribe eg Losec, Omeprazole but also look at diet.

I dont have dementia, but I did suffer from reflux. I was coughing and clearing my throat constantly.
It turned out I was at age 52, lactose intolerant.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Also, it could be a dementia tic, much like throat clearing, nose blowing, whistling or humming but if he does have heartburn, reflux is quite common with it.
Does he ever sound hoarse or like he’s swallowing often? Cough in his sleep?
A GP will often prescribe eg Losec, Omeprazole but also look at diet.

I dont have dementia, but I did suffer from reflux. I was coughing and clearing my throat constantly.
It turned out I was at age 52, lactose intolerant.
I had a similar thought about it being a dementia tic. A friend's mum makes a funny litle hum, not a song, just a constant sound. My friend thought it was a comforting thing so perhaps your dad is doing this as a stress reliever. The fact that he doesn't do it when distracted suggests that it is not a medical isue.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I had a similar thought about it being a dementia tic. A friend's mum makes a funny litle hum, not a song, just a constant sound. My friend thought it was a comforting thing so perhaps your dad is doing this as a stress reliever. The fact that he doesn't do it when distracted suggests that it is not a medical isue.
My dad did that. Every time he moved, even if it was just to pick up a cup of tea or comb his hair. Bom de bom de bom bom bom

It some times drove me round the bend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany