Pericyazine

davidw

Dec 28, 2005
swansea,uk
My wife's consultant has decided to prescribe Pericyazine for my wife because of her agitation and aggression. Does anyone have any experience of the use of this drug --its affects and side affects?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
David, just a little of what I managed to 'Google'. Not a drug I have come across before.

Pericyazine belongs to a group of medicines known as the phenothiazine antipsychotics. It is sometimes described as a 'major tranquilliser'. It acts by blocking a variety of receptors in the brain, particularly dopamine receptors. Dopamine is involved in transmitting signals between brain cells. When there is an excess amount of dopamine in the brain it causes over-stimulation of dopamine receptors. These receptors normally act to modify behaviour and over-stimulation may result in psychotic illness. Pericyazine blocks these receptors and stops them becoming over-stimulated, thereby helping to control psychotic illness.

As usual side effects listed, as with all drugs.

Trust everything is O.K. with you. Please let us know how your wife gets on with her new treatment.

davidw

Dec 28, 2005
swansea,uk
I thought I should give a quick update on the affects of this drug on my wife (a 59 yo AD sufferer) because,to date, the results have been stunningly good. My wife over the last year or so had become very difficult with quite aggressive and unpredictable mood swings.I was usually the brunt of her anger and frustation but others also suffered.
From the first new pill (8 days ago) things changed for the better. My wife is now much happier--with life,with herself and with me. She has started trying to do things around the house again and has generally been much easier to live with and to love.
So far there have been no noticeable side effects