Peoplw who suddenly get dementia when they keep physically and mentally active

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @sirpandip

We all know of the brightest and fittest people who get dementia. Who knows if it came on suddenly or slowly?

Sometimes there is an infection or episode which can be held responsible for bringing on the symptoms.

At other times it creeps slowly into the system and it's almost unnoticeable until hindsight tells us something has been wrong for a while.

From what I've learnt is there are no certainties

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @sirpandip
sadly, anyone can get dementia
sometimes it can appear sudden if symptoms have gone unnoticed
sometimes it is due to a TIA or stroke and can seem to appear suddenly
sometimes delerium due to some other cause can lead to dementia
and UTIs or any infections can highlight and heighten symptoms

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
All the above, plus the fact that those very mentally active develop coping mechanisms more easily and for longer which can 'protect' the individual from appearing different.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Delirium can appear very suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, and it can look a lot like dementia (confusion, hallucinations, inability to perform everyday tasks etc). Once the cause of he Delirium has been treated (usually an infection) the symptoms of Delirium should go away but sometimes this doesn’t happen. Delirium sometimes ‘unmasks’ dementia. I’m not quite sure why but perhaps because there was already some brain damage and the Delirium has caused some more.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
All the above, plus the fact that those very mentally active develop coping mechanisms more easily and for longer which can 'protect' the individual from appearing different.
My fit and active Mum was like that. She had managed to "hide" it for a long time and it was only when she suddenly started accusing people of stealing from her that I suddenly realised something was wrong. Later when I took over her finances and cleared her home it became obvious that things had not actually been right for some time, but to meet her you would have had no idea

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95