People are kind

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Just wanted to share this because it has really touched me tonight:
My mother is 86 with vascular dementia. She lives in sheltered accommodation with a warden during working hours and she has care visits in mornings and lunchtimes.
At 8.30 tonight I got a call from her phone - she never uses it so I wondered what it could be. It was some random guy called Tony who said he was visiting a neighbour and had seen my mother as he arrived, sitting in the lobby in her coat expecting to go out (ie for me to take her out) He thought it a bit odd, going out in the dark at that time, but went to see his friend - then on leaving, he found her still there wandering around holding a card I had written that said "Wednesday 2pm " with me to the shops (I do this as reminders for her) He asked her if he could help and she told him she had to go out but she wasn't sure how to.. realising something was amiss he took her back to her flat (she remembered the number!), found my number in her care plan and called me. He suggested I come up to calm her down and offered to wait until I did. I said I'd come immediately but would have to walk (20 minutes) because I had had wine for dinner (ok, few glasses!) and so was over the limit. This stranger Tony said not to worry -he would come and get me and take me to my mother's - there in 5 minutes. As I waited outside our house in the dark and the pouring rain, there was a moment when I did wonder if he might be some mad mass murderer, but then he turned up and I got in, so it was too late by then :) Turns out his mother had dementia and he recognised the signs. He dropped me off at the front door of the sheltered accommodation and I thanked him very much, went in and sorted out my mother.
But the thing is - he didn't have to do any of that! He has never met my mother; no connection with me, no reason to get involved. It was just a kind, generous act. It reminded me that, actually, people often ARE kind; we just sometimes forget.

Northern75

Feb 7, 2016
What a lovely story, Josephine. I think there are more good than bad people in this world - the good just seem to be too often overlooked

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Just wanted to share this because it has really touched me tonight:
My mother is 86 with vascular dementia. She lives in sheltered accommodation with a warden during working hours and she has care visits in mornings and lunchtimes.
At 8.30 tonight I got a call from her phone - she never uses it so I wondered what it could be. It was some random guy called Tony who said he was visiting a neighbour and had seen my mother as he arrived, sitting in the lobby in her coat expecting to go out (ie for me to take her out) He thought it a bit odd, going out in the dark at that time, but went to see his friend - then on leaving, he found her still there wandering around holding a card I had written that said "Wednesday 2pm " with me to the shops (I do this as reminders for her) He asked her if he could help and she told him she had to go out but she wasn't sure how to.. realising something was amiss he took her back to her flat (she remembered the number!), found my number in her care plan and called me. He suggested I come up to calm her down and offered to wait until I did. I said I'd come immediately but would have to walk (20 minutes) because I had had wine for dinner (ok, few glasses!) and so was over the limit. This stranger Tony said not to worry -he would come and get me and take me to my mother's - there in 5 minutes. As I waited outside our house in the dark and the pouring rain, there was a moment when I did wonder if he might be some mad mass murderer, but then he turned up and I got in, so it was too late by then :) Turns out his mother had dementia and he recognised the signs. He dropped me off at the front door of the sheltered accommodation and I thanked him very much, went in and sorted out my mother.
But the thing is - he didn't have to do any of that! He has never met my mother; no connection with me, no reason to get involved. It was just a kind, generous act. It reminded me that, actually, people often ARE kind; we just sometimes forget.

Thank you so very much for sharing your heartwarming story. So grateful for kind people in the world.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Josephine for much of last year my husband was an epic wanderer and was brought home many times by strangers either on foot or in their cars. One woman phoned me on his mobile phone and told me she was putting him on the bus and had instructed the driver where he was to get off and had given the driver my number in case of any problems.

John got off the bus at the stop full of smiles and totally unaware of all the people looking out for him. I was overwhelmed by how good people in general are. He has now reached the stage of not knowing where he lives and may well reach the stage of not knowing who he lives with!

This morning he told me we better get moving and get out of bed as it was a long way to Australia. True, very true.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Lovely to hear. I think people are often very kind - there is even I think a section in one of the free London papers where people can thank total strangers who've come to their aid.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
What a kind thing to do. Perhaps this had happened to him with his mum and he just wanted to help someone in distress. They say what goes around, comes around.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks for posting that Josephine, brightened up a wet day.

I remember a day a few years ago when OH fell in the street, in Wells, and out of nowhere 3 or 4 blokes helped her to her feet, made sure I got her into a cafe for a cuppa and melted into the crowd before I could say thanks. :)