Pension VS Pension Credit

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've lived abroad for over 20 years, so I'm not as familiar as I should be with the UK pension system. I'm trying to work out how much pension my dad gets. My mum tells me that he gets pension credit of a certain amount. I looked this up online and it said pension credit was a benefit, so I am assuming that his actual pension will be a separate amount of money, so he'll get his pension plus pension credit (i.e. his pension credit doesn't comprise partially of his state pension and partially of a top-up benefit). Is that right? I hope I've explained clearly enough for you to understand what I mean. I've asked mum, but she is hopeless with finances and wasn't able to tell me even after consulting their bankbooks and statements.

Thanks in advance,

LS

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Pension credit is given to top up a low pension. I think if you receive less than approx £150 as a single person or around £220/230 for a couple per week.

Hopefully someone will come up with accurate figures.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, Pension Credit is a top-up sum that is paid in a separate payment from the State Pension. On a bank statement they would be identified as PC and SP. I have no idea though how much your dad should be receiving. You could try and call the DWP but they might not talk to you without LPA or third-party mandate. If you need it to prove income to the OPG you'd need a letter or bank statement anyway. Is it really worth all that hassle? Couldn't the solicitor check out the bank books for you?

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Thanks Jaymor.
Their PC is for savings not guaranteed, so they must jointly make over 230.85. As mum's pension is less than 70 quid, that must mean dad's is at least 170.

Thanks Beate.
It would be easier to just let the solicitor look at their bank book. I'd just like to know as much as possible without having to rely on them every time.

Thanks for the info. Now I know that there is another missing amount there - my dad's pension.

LS

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Tried speaking to mum about this today, but she wasn't in the right mood, so I've put it on hold. She is insisting that dad's pension is contained within the pension credit and isn't paid separately. I'll ask her to look for the codes on the bankbook when she is calmer.

Everything takes sooooooo long to get done with her. It always has to be when she is in the right mood. Damn, it tires me out. So frustrating!:cool:

LS

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hello LS When Mum got her pension, although it was comprised of the basic pension plus pension credit, it arrived in her account as one total payment. She regularly received letters saying you will be paid £X each week which is made up of £Y for pension and £Z of pension credit.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes, Celia that is how my SILs income is made up - one amount for which she has received a letter breaking it down into the separate units. So Mum may be right!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I am just referring to basic state pension - I don't know if it changes if the person gets an occupational or private pension.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Would someone get Pension credit if they receive a private or an occupational pension?
I thought it was paid to make the amount up to the usual state pension for those that don't receive the full amount.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you phone 0845 301 3011 and ask for Form BR735 for the year 6 April 2014 to 5 April 2015 you will get a statement of basic pension and all additional payments paid during that year.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
The mystery deepens! Sounds like there are both ways of doing it. I'll get her to read out the letter to me word by word.

LS

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hello LS When Mum got her pension, although it was comprised of the basic pension plus pension credit, it arrived in her account as one total payment. She regularly received letters saying you will be paid £X each week which is made up of £Y for pension and £Z of pension credit.

Thanks. She probably has those letters in her biscuit tin.

LS

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Saffie, some older company pensions can be very small. One of our old neighbours had one that was less than £5 a month. No idea how long ago it had been started or how long he was in it for.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O yes of course. My own teacher's pension is minute as I taught part-time for many years, so it's only based on about 3 years - bit more than £5 a month though!