Pension pays for Care Home

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
My husband is in a CH with dementia, he is 67. I am at home with our 2 disabled young adults, so have kept the house. My problem is that his pension pays for his care - I agree and understand this - but I am now left without his financial input to the household and am struggling with my part tome job and Carers Allowance. Does he not have obligations to the house? If we had split up I would get maintenance but because he is in a CH I am left with nothing. The CAB, DRC, Job Centre and Age UK couldn't answer me!!

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
You make a very good point. I don't know if there's currently a way of accessing some of his pension but I think not, not his state pension at least. Which of course leaves you high and dry and it's a disgrace.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
To be eligible for carer's allowance you have to provide a minimum of 35 hours of care a week, this is unlikely as he is in residential care.
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/further-information

You are entitled to half of any pension other than his state pension.

Your's is a complex case, I'm surprised the charities you mentioned could not help.
Perhaps approaching them on a very general 'can you help me please, I can't manage as things are' plea may help.

There are various discretionary payments.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Are you self funding via your Husbands Pension, or have you been financially assessed and his Pension goes towards the payment ?

My understanding is, if you are financially assessed and within the 14-25K savings or less then the persons Pension is used towards the payment of the CH but only half as the other half is left for the Spouse.

This would of been the case for my Mum, if my Dad hadn't of been granted full funding (117 due to being sectioned and the Mental Health Act)

My husband is in a CH with dementia, he is 67. I am at home with our 2 disabled young adults, so have kept the house. My problem is that his pension pays for his care - I agree and understand this - but I am now left without his financial input to the household and am struggling with my part tome job and Carers Allowance. Does he not have obligations to the house? If we had split up I would get maintenance but because he is in a CH I am left with nothing. The CAB, DRC, Job Centre and Age UK couldn't answer me!!

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
To be eligible for carer's allowance you have to provide a minimum of 35 hours of care a week, this is unlikely as he is in residential care.
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/further-information

You are entitled to half of any pension other than his state pension.

Your's is a complex case, I'm surprised the charities you mentioned could not help.
Perhaps approaching them on a very general 'can you help me please, I can't manage as things are' plea may help.

There are various discretionary payments.
Hi, I get Carers Allowance as I am the full time Carer for our 2 disabled teenagers. They get their disability money but I am now living on that as I can only earn £123 a week in my job, plus my £66 a week CA. It seems such a struggle. My outgoing are practically the same as when my husband was here, we still use the same amount of heating etc etc.

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
Are you self funding via your Husbands Pension, or have you been financially assessed and his Pension goes towards the payment ?

My understanding is, if you are financially assessed and within the 14-25K savings or less then the persons Pension is used towards the payment of the CH but only half as the other half is left for the Spouse.

This would of been the case for my Mum, if my Dad hadn't of been granted full funding (117 due to being sectioned and the Mental Health Act)
Hi, we were financially assessed and his pension pays for his CH. Half of his pension would be very helpful! But I think this is if he had a private pension, his state pension goes towards his care.

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
You make a very good point. I don't know if there's currently a way of accessing some of his pension but I think not, not his state pension at least. Which of course leaves you high and dry and it's a disgrace.
Hi, it is rather stressful that he was put in a CH and I am left to cope with that, and our 2 disabled teenagers on my own, and without his income all at the same time!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hi, I get Carers Allowance as I am the full time Carer for our 2 disabled teenagers.

Apologies, I forgot the disabled teenagers.
I have no short term suggestions, however if you can get employment that pays above £123/wk and arrange for the excess to be put into a pension fund you will at least be building up a nest egg as pension payments are discounted.

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
Apologies, I forgot the disabled teenagers.
I have no short term suggestions, however if you can get employment that pays above £123/wk and arrange for the excess to be put into a pension fund you will at least be building up a nest egg as pension payments are discounted.
Hi, thanks for that. I would love to work more hours but caring for the children, looking after my elderly recently widowed mum and visiting my husband in his CH takes up so much time!! Lol. I love going to work for respite!!

Atanea

Feb 5, 2020
Have a look at AgeUK Factsheet 39 (on their website). Section 7 (Varying the Personal Expenses Allowance) would seem to be the way to go.

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
I am confused, not difficult to confuse me though!

I have read conflicting views on whether a private pension can be split between spouse if PWD goes into a care home & is self funding. Does anyone know the correct answer & whether it has to be agreed before PWD loses capacity ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @JBK
if a person is in a care home and self-funding, (has enough income and savings to pay care fees themselves) then how finances are organised is up to them or the responsibility of their Attorney/Deputy

it may well be wise for spouses to split their finances so it's obvious what is whose, maybe keeping a joint account for household expenses ... maybe even at that point having half the person's private pension paid into the spouse's account

should the LA fund the care, it is expected that the spouse will be allowed 50% of the private pension

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-a-care-home/