Pension Credit Question

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by sixy74, Oct 12, 2018.

1. sixy74

sixy74 Registered User

Jul 4, 2018
    Hi All
    Mum has been awarded pension credit guarantee as Dad is now in a care home and mum is on a low income.
    During the application process Mum was told that only her income should be recorded as her and dad are no longer classed as a couple for pension credit calculations.
    Dad receives a small company pension and half of it goes towards his LA care home fees, however the other half is disregarded by the LA and is available for mum to access, this half is still in Dads name and is paid into Dads bank account. The DWP have included this half of Dads pension when calculating Mums pension credit entitlement however they have entered this figure as if it were Mum who had a private pension, I have written to DWP on her behalf but have yet to receive a reply, so the question I am basically asking is should this half of Dads pension be taken into consideration or not, ie it’s Dads money and in his name so in theory it shouldn’t be but as Mum can spend it should it be ?

Thanks in advance

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    The DWP must come across this quite often so there must be an answer, but they do sometimes take their time.
    My mum got pension credits and I asked if my brothers and I gave her a regular amount of money (as a gift) would this be treated as income, they said not as it was a gift so unless she saved the money and went over certain thresholds then that would trigger a cut in her pension credits.
    I guess it depends on whether they treat it as a source of income or a gift, it's not her pension so in that sense it's a gift not a source of income she's entitled to as such.
    It'll be interesting to see what someone with experience has to say.
    K

3. sixy74

sixy74 Registered User

Jul 4, 2018
    Thanks for your reply, I’ll let you know what they say

4. sixy74

sixy74 Registered User

Jul 4, 2018
    Guys what is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a reply to my above question from DWP. I sent the letter last Wednesday so it will of hit the DWP mail sorting centre on Thu or Fri then it has to be transferred to the correct department that's if it doesn't go missing from previous experience.