1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Pension Credit etc. etc. Help please!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by susanandliam, Feb 7, 2016.

1. susanandliam

susanandliam Registered User

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Hi,

Can someone advise please as I'm confused?!

Finally got Mum into a home in Cornwall this week and have been ringing round to advise various people regarding her change of circumstances.

I rang the pension service who had sent a letter regarding Mums Winter Fuel payment to notify them and after a lot of questions was asked whether Mum had sold her own property, mum is self funding.

I said no and as Mum had only moved into a care home this week I had quite enough to contend with!

The advisor said that Mum was getting Pension Credit and that if Mum's flat is sold I should let them know as this credit will then stop.

I'm very stressed at the moment so didn't understand and the advisor wasn't very helpful anyway, to be honest she made me feel that I wished I hadn't phoned up!

Can anyone throw any light on this? Why do they need to know if we sell Mum's flat if she's self funding and why would the pension credit stop if the property does get sold?

I would appreciate any advice as I don't know anything much about the benefit system!

The other thing is Mum is getting attendance allowance at the lower rate and when I rang them they told me this will continue. I did ask as Mum's alzheimers has worsened whether she might be eligible to received the higher rate and was told to assess this I would need to reapply and then there is always a risk that they take the allowance altogether!!

:eek:

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Last thing first. I understand that AA may be stopped and replaced within the benefit system so that might be what she was trying to tell you. I believe if you get your new assessment in quickly before this policy goes through you might get the higher one. Phone Alz Soc for advice.

None of this benefit stuff or house sale needs to be dealt with immediately. Give yourself a few days break to calm down and then take it gently. Good luck.

3. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    I would find your local welfare advice centre to get better advice, your local Social Services might be able to point you in the right direction as part of a needs assessment. When OH had to sell her house to pay off debts she had to account for every penny and provide proof she now had less than £10k in the bank. You get no pension credit if you have savings of more than that.
    Hope any of that helps you susan.

4. susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    Thank you!

She made me feel bad saying is this the first opportunity to tell us of the change in circumstances and things are hard enough as it is!

5. susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
    somerset
    O.K. thank you!

6. tigerlady

tigerlady Registered User

Nov 29, 2015
    Age UK have loads of factsheets on benefits and funding and attendance allowance etc

Here is one link to attendance allowance, but from there you will be able to go to the other links to answer your questions.

Better still, get an Age UK representative to come out to see you and help you fill in a new attendance allowance form,as I am sure your mum would qualify for the top rate as she is in a care home and self funding

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matte...dance-allowance/what-is-attendance-allowance/

7. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Call the AA helpline and ask them to send you the form you need for applying for higher rate while having lower rate already. It's a much shorter form and easy to fill in. You will need to tell them the date from which her needs changed and they will start paying six months from that date.

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/how-to-claim

8. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi susanandliam
    just wanted to back up what Beate has sad - I put off applying for the higher rate AA as I couldn't face filling in yet another long application, thinking it would be just like applying initially for the lower rate - and it is a very much simpler form - so well worth sending for and filling in when you have the energy and time

9. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    but don't leave it too long they are about to axe it!

10. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    It's only a consultation so far but if it happens, apparently it will only be axed for new claimants, so if you've got it you can keep it. Apparently. Not trusting this government on anything.