Pension benefits while in hospital or a care home

kennyuk

Nov 18, 2006
What happens to my dad's pension while he is in hospital, or a care home ? He gets Pension credit of £116 a week, which I think includes some Income Support.

I've been collecting this on his behalf, saving some for him, and using the rest to help meet some household bills (he's still the householder), and towards buying him new clothing.

Should I inform the DSS that he is in hospital ? Will they stop all his money ?
Surely whatever happens he's entiled to his Pension ? I've collected 3 weeks so far.

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
28 days allowed in hospital

Hello,I am positive that you are supposed to inform DWP if you are in hospital or care home after 28 days,I have found the DWP are very helpful and very understanding,also they have all the uptodate laws and rules..hope this helps

kennyuk

Nov 18, 2006
Thanks for that Jennifer.

It's a bit complex, but from that, it seems as if his money won't be affected. I'll get in touch with the DSS to confirm it.

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
I've just gone through this ....

The £116 will still be paid while she's in hospital but if she's getting Attendance Allowance that will stop after a while ... As will Carers Allowance if anyone's claiming that .

I've still not go my benefits sorted out 4 weeks after having my Carers Allowance stopped :eek:

Paul

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hi all

Keep an eye on Attendance Allowance. When my mum was in hospital, I notified the Pensions people and the AA people. The AA folk got into a real tangle and said they'd overpaid, then underpaid. I have to watch them like a hawk. To make the issue more complicated they seemed to have stopped paying it weekly, and it's now paid monthly ... but this swap happened whilst she was in hospital. Trying to sort out the dates was a pain - it's a very complex system!