Peer support for young adults of a parent with dementia

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

We've had the below message from Rebecca Wilson, the Dementia Support Manager for London's early-onset dementia support service. I hope it will be helpful to some of you. :)

"Hello, I work for the Alzheimer’s Society in London and I'm currently involved in a project to support the family members of someone who has been diagnosed with young onset dementia.

We are hosting a peer support group for young adult carers (aged approx. 18-35 years) with a parent who has a diagnosis of dementia, to meet monthly in London and share information and support with each other.

It's been great to read some of the posts and see the support you are able to offer each other via the forum, and so we would like to extend an invitation to come along to our peer support group session and perhaps meet in person.

The group is one evening per month in the Islington area, and the next meeting is scheduled for 6:30pm-8pm on Tuesday 11th August.

It is a relaxed, informal session – teas and biscuits are provided – however, we do ask that people let us know before attending so that we can keep you updated in the event of any changes.

If you would like to find out more & book a place, then please get in touch with me or one of the team on the contact details below."

Rebecca Wilson
Dementia Support Manager, London Young Onset Dementia Support Service
Mobile: 07718 322 568
Email: rebecca.wilson@alzheimers.org.uk

Last edited:

rebeccawilson

Jun 19, 2015
London
Thank you to the people who have contacted me so far.

The project we are currently working on hear at Alzheimer's Society would really benefit from any comments or feedback that you have - whether you are interested in getting support from us, or feel that something else would be suitable for you, we would still like to know.

Also, we would like to help to organise a meet-up in central London for people to meet each other. If you would be interested in this then please let me know.

Thanks again for your time,

Kind regards,

Rebecca

Rebecca Wilson
Dementia Support Manager
London Young Onset Dementia Support Service

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Whilst this does not affect me personally, I would like to see a special group set up for teenagers who have to go through their teens with a parent with dementia, not just over 18s. Also, a London meet is a good start BUT is not accessible to all. This service should be available to all young people wherever they live. One in each large city would be a good start. Yes I know finances probably make this difficult but lives of young people are affected countrywide!
I appreciate all you are attempting to do. Just a geographical diversity concern.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
This was posted on 4th September. The date of the next meeting is given as August. One meeting a year?

rebeccawilson

Jun 19, 2015
London
Hello,

Yes - apologies, there was a delay with getting the information posted, so the version with the previous month's date was put up.

We were planning to hold the peer support groups monthly, like many of our other groups, but the feedback that we got from people was that they thought monthly might be a bit too often for them.

What we are hoping to do now is meet a bit more informally, in a central location, perhaps every two months.
I am happy to post the information once the next date is scheduled.

I agree that there do need to be more services for young onset dementia, and the forum can be great for that as people affected are often quite spread out and may not live locally to each other.
We are running this particular project in London, but I know that my colleagues in various parts of the country are working on similar projects, so it might be worth getting in touch with your local office to see if they know anything?

If you have any other comments that you would like to share about young onset dementia support services, please feel free to email me on the address above.

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Rebecca Wilson
Dementia Support Manager

rebeccawilson

Jun 19, 2015
London
Autumn London Meet-up for young adult dementia carers

Hello all,

Thank you for your patience while we have been looking into the different options.

I am aware that there is already a successful group up and running of people that meet for social & informal support, and there are clearly a lot of people who use the Talking Point forum to get the support and information that they want.

We would like to invite both of these groups to an informal meet-up in east/central London on Wednesday 25th November from 6pm where you can either talk to us, or just to each other!

We are happy to play to whatever role is needed in order to help people to get the support that they want, so there won't be any requirement to sign up to ongoing services, however we will be asking for some basic information on the night to cover health and safety regulations.

Please see the attached flyer for more details and the email addresses to RSVP.

Kind regards,
Rebecca Wilson

Dementia Support Manager

Attachments

• YOD young carers invite_25th November.jpg
    YOD young carers invite_25th November.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,238

rebeccawilson

Jun 19, 2015
London
Young adult carers meet-up

Hello,

For those of you who are able to come to the meet-up this Wednesday evening, we will be upstairs at the Black Horse, Leman Street, from 6pm.

The Black Horse doesn't have it's own website, but details for the venue can be found on Facebook under "blackhorselondon"

I look forward to meeting some of you there,

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Rebecca Wilson
Dementia Support Manager

rebeccawilson

Jun 19, 2015
London
Thanks to all who came last night - if there is anybody interested in a social meet-up in the new year (January/February), please respond to the email address above with your rough location in London so that we can arrange it in the most convenient place for people.

Thanks very much,
Rebecca

Rebecca Wilson
Dementia Support Manager

BOFOX1979

Sep 25, 2016
Does this group meet anymore? I'm London based and would welcome the chance to join. I could help with venues if in SE London too

Middwynter

Jun 20, 2017
Does this group meet anymore? I'm London based and would welcome the chance to join. I could help with venues if in SE London too
Hi there, I've just found this page online, a bit late to the party...
We have set up our own group for children of FTD sufferers, we have only met once but are hoping to again soon.
Search FTD Children support group on Facebook we have a group.

Do get in touch if you'd like to come, you can email on the FB group or here.
Jules

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm