Peeing at night in strange places

doingmybest1

Feb 28, 2017
Hi lovely people on this forum

We're hitting a problem with Mum and we don't know if this is common with others looking after other family members.

Mum has incontinence issues due to Alzheimer's. But she wears 4 pairs of pants and has always pads as well. She's done this for years and been fine. She refuses to wear incontinence pads overnight.

Recently, we've discovered that she keeps peeing overnight in her bedroom on a specific area, always the same area on her carpet.

I'm guessing that overnight she is disorientated and doesn't know where the loo is but keeps focussing on this area in her bedroom on the carpet as a place to wee at nights.

We're confused.

Anyone else experienced loved one going to the loo at night but weeing in a different place than the loo?

Thank you.

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
Yes, my OH does this in his care home, in the wardrobe, the top drawer of the chest of drawers and on the carpet in a certain spot. He turns left instead of right where his en suite bathroom is, door open, light on. I was told “we can’t change the behaviour, we have to manage it”. As your mum always goes in the same place, could you put something down there? I have heard of puppy pads for that.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think this is a fairly common issue @doingmybest1. Do you think she would accept a commode in her room? It could be placed in that particular area.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are living with her you could try placing an alarm mat next to her bed so that you would wake up when she gets out of bed and guide her to the loo. This may not be practical, though, as you may not get there in time or it might upset her.

I found puppy pads good when OH would go to the bathroom, but miss the loo.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @doingmybest1, this is something my husband used to do.

I tried leaving the toilet light on overnight but in his case it didnt really work - but I know it has been helpful in other cases.

I managed the situation only in as far as I slept with him so mostly I was able to leap to my feet and guide him as soon as he started to get up. There were times I was simply not quick enough though - or he would come to a standstill in the middle of the room and not budge.

I tried a commode but he didn't take to that, so in the end I purchased a washable floor protection mat which I placed at the side of the bed and I also had disposable kylie pads at strategic locations around the bedroom overnight.

My other strategy (which won't be of use in your mum's case, but which might be of help to those caring for a male) was to have a urine bottle for men close to hand). He was too confused and sleepy to do it himself but I became quite an expert at getting it to him and in position in good time.

I also used a spray bottle of urine remover available from pet shops - it did a great job of cleaning up any accidents as well as getting rid of any unpleasant smells.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had an alarm mat on the mattress. Whenever my husband moved to get up the alarm sounded and I was able to deal with whatever was happen It did lead to not a lot of sleep over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan