• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Paying for urgent care immediately without DPA


New member
May 20, 2022
Hi everyone,
My first post on here as I just wanted to get some information on a quite urgent situation. Paying for care seems to be an absolute minefield and any help is appreciated trying to pick through this broken system!

Let me give some context first - my Mum has Alzheimer’s and was recently admitted to hospital - she was picked up by the police as she was wandering around. The hospital have decided that she can no longer look after herself and will only discharge her into a care home facility.

We were dealing with social services and have been told that as my Mum owns two properties (one of which she lives in and the other is a shop which she receives rental income from) she would be 100% self funded and also wouldn’t be eligible for the deferred payment scheme. Unfortunately the 2nd property she owns has taken her over the threshold for a deferred payment agreement.

Social services seem to be expecting us to place Mum into care immediately but I’m just at an absolute loss as how we pay for this straight away. My Mum doesn’t have any savings and although we realise and accept we’ll have to sell property, this isn’t going to happen immediately and will take some time. I really have no idea what we’re supposed to do in the meantime. Social services seem to be shrugging their shoulders and washing their hands of the whole thing. I’m really worried about what’s going to happen to Mum.

Unfortunately I don’t even have LPA yet. I have applied for a deputyship but this won’t be finalised for a few weeks yet according to the solicitors - so I don’t even have the legal right to sell any of Mum’s properties.

I don’t know if I’m right here but surely this can’t be a rare situation where someone has no liquid cash but property has taken them over funding thresholds?

If you can offer any help or advice here that would be amazing as I feel absolutely lost.


Registered User
Jan 5, 2014
I suggest you look at care homes and ask them what their position is. Perhaps as part of initial phone call when finding out about vacancies as no point viewing if they won't accept delayed payment.

My mum moved into a carehome on 1st April and despite emailing the accounts dept I haven't yet received an invoice or paid anything. (she has been in extra care for a while so her house was sold years ago and she has the funds to pay)

It is likely if you prove the assets to care homes they will be willing to wait until the monies come through before you need to pay.


Registered User
Mar 1, 2013
Talk to the care home finance dept.

How far will the shop rental + any pension she recieves go towards meeting the bill?


Registered User
Jun 12, 2020
Good advice received above. This isn't a rare situation. However your mother does have income from rent and probably pensions too so she can start paying something if you can get her to sign a standing order. Part payment may mollify the finance department.


Registered User
Jun 6, 2020
When FIL went into care all we could tell the social worker was that his share of a joint current account was over the threshold. We thought they had more money but didn't know where it was. We didn't have POA so had to apply for Deputyship. The LA paid the care home for almost 6 months before we could reimburse them. I did keep the LA finance department up to date with the progress of the Deputyship, they put a marker on his account and as soon as we got access to his money we repaid them.
Not sure if this was unusual , as it was our first experience of care homes. He was placed in the care home through the social worker.


Registered User
Jan 13, 2019
Can you claim for Attendance Allowance for her too? If you are self funding in residential care it can still be claimed.