Paying For Mum

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
I have been told by our local Adult Care Services that I am not allowed to pay for my Mum to have a live-in carer that it has to be Mum's own money. I could Gift her the money but then we would not have additional help 2 times per day by a visiting carer which would ideally be funded to keep my costs down purely so the money would last longer. Is this correct?

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I would think carefully about paying for live-in care for your mother as it is likely to cost more than a care home if everything is done by the book ie tax, NI and pension contributions are paid, the carer is given 2 hours off each day which is covered by a relief carer and the carer receives a food allowance.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
To give you some idea of cost.....Live in care by my OH care company is £1500 per week plus another £52 for a 2hr break per day. As he also requires 2 to wash/dress him there would be an additional cost of another £52 for a carer every morning and evening to help the live in carer (unless I do it) plus the food. A self employed carer should cost less.

I have no idea if you are allowed to pay for it.

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
Thank you Violet and Rosetta but I guess I should have said a little more as to why I asked this question. My Mum has had live-in care for the past 5 years which was part funded by our local council then in October they suddenly stopped the funding totally out of the blue which resulted in Mum having to go into a care home against our wishes. We had a incompetent social worker who I complained about and was allocated another who was brilliant but could sadly not get Mum back home. It is a very long and, in parts, unbelievable story as it is just a farce! We were given no other options and was told Mum had to be in a home just 5 days later. We want her back in her own home with the care agency she has had all these years but we are told we cannot, as a family, pay for this when in fact it would be so much cheaper for the little bit of funding we are asking for compared to what they are paying now for Mums care home. The reason they are paying is because they have classed Mums move as respite as we are fighting their decision and have made a formal complaint through a cabinet member for adults who in turn has lodged it with the head of adult care. If this was not happening to us then I would find the whole scenario quite unbelievable in places as there is no logic to it.
The carers Mum has were self employed.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I was not aware that any local authorities funded live-in care. My local authority certainly doesn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain