Paying for carers and respite

nov14

May 27, 2014
Goostrey, Cheshire
Sorry but I need to let off steam and I know you will all understand!

I've just got the results of the financial assessment through for Mums care and don't honestly know how we are going to pay it.

Mum lives with me and we have always split the bills 50/50 because we moved into a bungalow 2.5 years ago and had a lot of work done to make it safe and suitable for her needs. I won't go into details but I took the finance out in my name mortgage, loan and maxed out our credit cards. None of this is being taken into account because the house is on my name.

The amount left after all the bills and paying for mums care package means that although I have been awarded 56 nights respite I have no idea how we can pay for it!! The bill for the care package will also be backdated and as neither of us has any savings I have no idea where that is supposed to come from either.

I've got a weeks holiday booked and paid for at the end of September which my Doctor insists I go on alone but how!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Good Doctor that!
I wish mine would 'insist' I went on holiday alone.

Sometimes it doesn't 'do' to mix up the finances, it makes them awfully hard to disentangle.

My son is 28 and has been profoundly disabled since birth. He pays towards the cost of his day care and respite.

Does your Mum receive Attendance Allowance?
If so, this is meant to contribute towards the cost of such care.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sorry, as so often occurs I'm not with this:confused:
You say "I have been awarded 56 nights", I took that meant you didn't have to pay for those nights, if you're paying you can award yourself as many respite nights you like surely. What does the "awarded" bit mean?
I take it you've ruled out help from family, friends ect as not an option so unless anyone knows where they may be funding for people in your situation that doesn't involve more debt I really don't know.
I just always assumed if I wanted a break I'd have to organise and pay for it myself, nobody's ever mentioned me getting anything awarded.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think it means he has been granted 8 weeks respite a year by Social Services. It's the maximum you can get in my borough, but you still have to pay whatever the LA rate is for these weeks. In my, erm, deprived area it isn't much, but each borough has their own rates.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It's not really true, that it's a maximum, because of course the maximum is 52 weeks per year.

My son has an added allowance as he comes under the 'Adults with learning disabilities' team and their budget is bigger,
Quite rightly, in my opinion, as they have no chances of even having a stab at life without extra support.

I don't think any areas of London are deprived...in fact the facilities available to London are not available to the rest of the UK.
I think there are incredible resources spent and available in London, not all of them kosher but still they gather funds as a 'charity'.
This is something that hopefully the 'Kids Club' debacle will expose further.

My son has 14 nights respite, it is in front of the panel to extend it to 24 nights.

He is 28 and lifelong doubly incontinent and autistic.
We live under a GOOD County Council...but still we struggle.

My only concern about this is that people without a voice, without an advocate...fall through the net.

But somehow the net still lets through the fat ones who should pay their own way.

Mostly, I think, it is the 'loved ones' who don't want to pay who cause the bottle-neck.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think it means he has been granted 8 weeks respite a year by Social Services. It's the maximum you can get in my borough, but you still have to pay whatever the LA rate is for these weeks. In my, erm, deprived area it isn't much, but each borough has their own rates.

It must be me but I still don't get it but you obviously do.
"granted 8 weeks respite a year" If I have to pay then I can grant myself 52 weeks a year if I want to what's it got to do with the LA they're not paying so what's their involvement?
A grant, to me means you get given something for nothing as in student grant, housing grant, maternity grant or whatever in effect a gift.
I'm still not with it unless you mean that much time at the cheaper council agreed rate as against the higher private rate:confused:
K

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Still trying to understand this respite thing myself Kevin .
Certainly agree with garunft , London seems to get whatever ..we get ????the forgotten areas it feels like.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The involvement is that they are paying most of it. For example, in my borough a respite place for the care homes we looked at was costed as £500-£600 a week but once SS approve you a number of weeks (and 8 weeks is the maximum here, whether you like that or not, though I got a paltry 3 weeks approved), then you pay a fixed rate of in our case about £124 a week. You can of course pay privately so to speak, and grant yourself as many weeks as you like at the care home rate, but who can afford that unless they are rich? Whatever you get, day centre, sitting service, respite etc is set out in a Support Plan and you have to fight pretty hard to get it. My comment about "deprived areas" was a reference to another thread where the hugely differing cost of day centres was discussed.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
If dad went into CH he would be self funding so am assuming would have to pay for any respite, or can he can some via SS for break for mum ?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
It must be me but I still don't get it but you obviously do.
"granted 8 weeks respite a year" If I have to pay then I can grant myself 52 weeks a year if I want to what's it got to do with the LA they're not paying so what's their involvement?
A grant, to me means you get given something for nothing as in student grant, housing grant, maternity grant or whatever in effect a gift.
I'm still not with it unless you mean that much time at the cheaper council agreed rate as against the higher private rate:confused:
K

Kevin, I think it must mean 56 nights as allocated by the council, paid for by the person having the respite, according to the outcome of a financial assessment.

In our area, respite is almost totally unavailable, unless you can pay the full private rate. If the local authority is involved, then yes, you are 'granted' or 'allocated' a certain number of nights in their designated contract beds.

Makes sense to me.....:confused: x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Financial assessments for care home or respite placements are made for the person who will stay in the care home, even though it's respite for the carer. I know it sounds weird but if I want OH to go into a care home for a week so I get respite, it is assessed and paid from his money.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Are they saying that because you used some of your mum's money you deprived her of assets that should have been used to pay for her care? Is this really a financial mess rather than anything else? Because if the house is yours that would not be taken into consideration when doing a financial assessment.
It should not be you paying for the care, it is your mum who pays (in the UK at any rate)

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I'm assuming that the OP is concerned about paying ANY rate; LA or full, due to the circumstances stated.

I'm also assuming that the holiday was booked for you both? Unfortunately, the written word can often be confusing.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I don't think any areas of London are deprived...in fact the facilities available to London are not available to the rest of the UK.
I think there are incredible resources spent and available in London, not all of them kosher but still they gather funds as a 'charity'.

I find this really offensive. I have had personal dealings with three of the thirty three local authorities that exist within London. Yes, 33 local authorities! I haven't witnessed any incredible resources within these, or in fact with any others that I have friends or relatives within. As for not being 'kosher' or believing that there are no deprived areas in London; I think you need to wake up!