Paying For Carers – Help Please

Norfolklass

Feb 14, 2007
Norfolk
I’m sure the information I need must be contained somewhere in this website, but I’m unfortunately a bit pushed for time as I need to get back to my mum ASAP.

My 87-year-old father who has Alzheimer’s has unfortunately broken his ankle. He is being cared for at home by my poor mum. Since my father broke his ankle almost 2 wks ago a ‘carer’ has attended the house in the morning. Though the ‘carer’ does not appear to do anything practical and its down to my mum to give my dad a blanket bath and check his foot.
This carer has now advised my mum that she must continue with a carer for my dad but they must now pay for it. The carer advised mum that the cost would be dependent on how much they had!
My question is when they come back to ask the ‘financial questions’ do we only declare my fathers monies – ie pension. Or does mum have to say what she has ie pension and savings?
Also do we advise a gross pension figure or a net figure?
Also should we tell them ‘what their outgoings are, ie bills etc’?
Annoyingly I’m in another county otherwise I’d speak to the carer.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes good
idea is to phone Benefits Office, as then they can tell you parents if are entitled to attendance allowance which I am sure they can get as your father has AZ .

This carer has now advised my mum that she must continue with a carer for my dad but they must now pay for it. The carer advised mum that the cost would be dependent on how much they had!

yes that true , but don't let that put you of, because its not up to the carer to say your parents may have to pay for it . still go for it , even if your parents own they home or not as it is more down to the saving they got .

Good luck , tell us how you got on .

Last edited: