Paying for care

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
My husband is going to a day care centre for dementia
We do nit get any benefits currently
Does anyone know how much savings you allowed before you have to pay for this care

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
I dont know if its standard practice or each local authority have their own method.
Your savings and income are taken into account. If its daycare or respite your property isnt included in calculation. In my LA you get help if you have savings less than£23,500.
My friends mum only had low paid jobs to fit in with childcare and her late husband was a docker . She received pension credit and luckily didnt have to pay anything towards her 3 days at daycentre and care staff visiting 3x a dAy.
Socialservices dept will visit and do a financial assessment.
Good luck x

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
Thank you I will check into it
Also will it only be my husbands money they take into account or. Savings of us both
I dont know if its standard practice or each local authority have their own method.
Your savings and income are taken into account. If its daycare or respite your property isnt included in calculation. In my LA you get help if you have savings less than£23,500.
My friends mum only had low paid jobs to fit in with childcare and her late husband was a docker . She received pension credit and luckily didnt have to pay anything towards her 3 days at daycentre and care staff visiting 3x a dAy.
Socialservices dept will visit and do a financial assessment.
Good luck x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thank you I will check into it
Also will it only be my husbands money they take into account or. Savings of us both

Any money held in your husband's name and half of any savings held in a joint account.
Anything in your name only is disregarded.
K

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Any money held in your husband's name and half of any savings held in a joint account.
Anything in your name only is disregarded.
K

Not necessarily, my husband never had a bank account, all his money was paid into mine which was in my name only, half of that was classed as his in the financial assessment .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
Coping as a carer

I have been reading about carers whose partner goes into care home etc
I am looking after my husband and am at a point I want to walk away from dementia
I am hoping to get him two days a week in day care but am feeling very guilty that I have come to this decision. He did a taster session the other day about four hours he seemed happy enough about it
I can't put into words the freedom I felt for that short space of time.
As his wife I thought we will be ok I will be able to cope but after a while of 24/7 i never realised the feeling of loneliness and isolation that comes with it .
He is not really any trouble to look after it is all the things that happen that makes it like I am losing him day by day memory loss, hallucinations etc
I understand how others feel as in the guilt trips but we are only doing our best

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Alzheimers care and back up

Can anyone tell me what the care and backup for Alzheimer's is like in the Lincolnshire area. I am thinking of moving there. Thank you

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Pollyanna, Since my hubby has been in care, l have found it to be a feelling of relief, after looking after him for 10yrs 24/7 the freedom l now have is wonderful, please don't get me wrong l have had 55yrs of my life with my hubby, l still love him very much, l visit him everyday. But you must think of yourself, our life is slipping away. If l could have got 2 days a week day care l would have managed, but hubby refused to go after one day there. I do not feel guilty, l have done my best to keep my hubby and me safe.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Can anyone tell me what the care and backup for Alzheimer's is like in the Lincolnshire area. I am thinking of moving there. Thank you

I would suggest that you get in touch with the carers organisation there and have a word and if you then get along to a carers cafe
http://www.carerssupportcentre.com/north-lincolnshire/
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/lincoln/our-services/carers-connect/

lincolnshire is quite rural and spread out and I know someone who used to work for the county council there said services were very spread out and patchy so it was a bit pot luck. If you google carers cafe in the area you are thinking of you might have more luck
or Alzheimers society lincolnshire - it didn't come up on my search

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Day Care seems to be a postcode lottery, as to the cost, and how much help you get. I can only speak of my own experience, but it was eye wateringly expensive. John went to what was called a Peer Group Dementia Club, for one day a week, and that was heavily subsidised, and only cost £10 for 4 hours, including lunch.

But on the other days, he went to an Age Concern centre, and for this we were charged £9 an hour. Even though John had under £13,000 in savings in his own name, our LA took into account his State Retirement Pension, and his Private Pension, and we were given very little help towards the costs.

As his health deteriorated, he increased from a couple of days a week at the Age Concern centre, to 4 days, and then he went to another venue on a Saturday. He used to also go to these centres for 4 hours. I'm amazed at how much financial help other authorities appear to give, and I made sure I claimed everything that I could.

But, at the end of the day, it was because John went to the centres, that I was able to look after him for nearly 12 years. I also had a total of 12 hours help, from Crossroads, through the Peoples' Lottery, for just £22.50, and that covered giving him a bath, 3 times a week. All other help at home, which I needed towards the end, was nearly £17 an hour. Of course, the carers get about half of that!

When he went into permanent Residential Care, I wasn't paying a lot more than what I had been for 24 hours of Day Care, but as I say, that's because of the way our Local Authority operated and he was there for 6 months until he died. But looking back, I have no regrets of the choices I made.

And that's it - it has to be what suits you, and your bank balance. We hadn't had holidays for 10 years, so I looked on the Day Care as my holiday. Good luck to people making these choices. It's a hard thing to decide, but has to be what suits you. xxx

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
Thank you for the reply
We have been married for 52 years and it is very hard I am in a residential property with people in a similar boat so am getting support from people I am meeting
Fingers crossed I get the two days a week confirmed this week
Hope all goes well in the future for you
Hello Pollyanna, Since my hubby has been in care, l have found it to be a feelling of relief, after looking after him for 10yrs 24/7 the freedom l now have is wonderful, please don't get me wrong l have had 55yrs of my life with my hubby, l still love him very much, l visit him everyday. But you must think of yourself, our life is slipping away. If l could have got 2 days a week day care l would have managed, but hubby refused to go after one day there. I do not feel guilty, l have done my best to keep my hubby and me safe.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

Indeed you have Pam. :) No carer should feel guilty, whatever decisions they make about Day Care or Residential Care. Or about carers coming into their home. Or feeling relieved. Because nobody has a right to judge you, especially as we have all been with our loved ones for decades, and would never have thought that we would have decisions like these to make.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej