Paying for a care home

Broomie

Oct 29, 2015
Hi,

My gather in law is being placed into a care home, his family are being told by the Social Services that they will have to pay for his care. This is being said to them without any form of financial assessment having been carried out.

What are the rules for funding a care home place?

Thank you

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Has your FIL been assessed as needing a care home placement? Because if you aren't self-funding, you need the LA to sign off on such a placement.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
OK - well if the LA are arranging the placement has anyone verbally indicated to the social worker that your FIL has assets over the £24K upper limit? If they haven't then ask the LA to do a financial assessment. The point I'm trying to make is that some people know they are going to be self-funding so simply don't bother with the financial assessment. But you absolutely can request one.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Having looked at your previous posts, I see that this might be considered to be a temporary respite placement. In those situations the LA is not required to make a financial assessment for the first 8 weeks and I think this is what has happened. The best idea is to approach it from another direction and tell them that this will be a permanent placement which will trigger the need for the FA. If you change your mind at a later date, no problem.

Broomie

Oct 29, 2015
Having looked at your previous posts, I see that this might be considered to be a temporary respite placement. In those situations the LA is not required to make a financial assessment for the first 8 weeks and I think this is what has happened. The best idea is to approach it from another direction and tell them that this will be a permanent placement which will trigger the need for the FA. If you change your mind at a later date, no problem.

Brilliant thank you Jennifer.