1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Paying for a care home

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Broomie, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Broomie

Broomie Registered User

Oct 29, 2015
    Hi,

My gather in law is being placed into a care home, his family are being told by the Social Services that they will have to pay for his care. This is being said to them without any form of financial assessment having been carried out.

What are the rules for funding a care home place?

Thank you

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Has your FIL been assessed as needing a care home placement? Because if you aren't self-funding, you need the LA to sign off on such a placement.

3. Broomie

Broomie Registered User

Oct 29, 2015
    Hi yes, the Social Worker organised the placement.

4. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    This page and its links is a good place to start.....
    http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-permanent-residential-care/

5. Broomie

Broomie Registered User

Oct 29, 2015
  6. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    OK - well if the LA are arranging the placement has anyone verbally indicated to the social worker that your FIL has assets over the £24K upper limit? If they haven't then ask the LA to do a financial assessment. The point I'm trying to make is that some people know they are going to be self-funding so simply don't bother with the financial assessment. But you absolutely can request one.

7. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    Having looked at your previous posts, I see that this might be considered to be a temporary respite placement. In those situations the LA is not required to make a financial assessment for the first 8 weeks and I think this is what has happened. The best idea is to approach it from another direction and tell them that this will be a permanent placement which will trigger the need for the FA. If you change your mind at a later date, no problem.

8. Broomie

Broomie Registered User

Oct 29, 2015
    Brilliant thank you Jennifer.