Paying everyday bills

Pibby

Dec 8, 2015
I was not advised by bank that when I registered enduring power of attorney that mother would not be able to use her bank herself. She is so upset. How does she pay everyday bills like hairdressers, etc

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Pibby, welcome to Talking Point,am hoping someone here has had experience of POA and banks, I was under the impression that informing the bank you will be dealing with mums account would still give her the freedom to use it? am hoping you have been misinformed, as an additional worry for both you and mum.
Take care
Chris

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You have to register an EPA once the donor has lost capacity. I am guessing that someone who has lost capacity will probably be considered by the bank as no longer able to look after their money, and therefore the attorney will be the one having to deal with it. You'll have to find a way to give her cash or maybe create accounts for her with people like the hairdresser. For a supermarket a prepaid shopping card might help?

Mo88

Nov 20, 2014
I was not advised by bank that when I registered enduring power of attorney that mother would not be able to use her bank herself. She is so upset. How does she pay everyday bills like hairdressers, etc

Hi Pibby
I've had an EPA for both my parents for a number of years- one with Lloyds TSB and one with Nat west and we've both been able to use and access the account. My dad and I often go in together .. We also both have debit cards in our individual names for the account. My mum has now lost ' capacity and I registered hers with the OPG over a year ago and then notified the bank.. So whether she'll get her card renewed in her name when the current one expires now I'm not sure ( unlike dad ..she's never actually used hers at all as I've managed all her finances with the one in my name) . I think you should go in and clarify with the bank .. Possibly with your mum as well if possible. Hope you get it sorted