Patterns of live-in care

Felicity64

Jul 25, 2019
Hi,posting here for the first time because we need some advice.My Dad is cared for at home,he has a combination of physical frailty and I guess mid-stage dementia.He is very fortunate in receiving CHC funding which covers live-in care.
Having been fairly thrown into this when he became unable to cope and was said to be palliative last September,we are now wondering whether the pattern of live-in care we're using is the best for him.He has one live-in assistant who has relief each day and we use an agency to cover her longer breaks.We're wondering if we'd be better using 2 carers who were happy to do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off pattern for instance?Although this would be more disruptive for Dad, my sister and I feel we'd be more comfortable being less dependent on one person.Has anyone on here had experience of the 2 week on 2 week off pattern that they could share please?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’ve no experience but just wanted to say welcome to DTP @Felicity64. My thoughts are if your Dad is happy & settled with the current pattern & people, I wouldn’t risk the change upsetting him.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My grandparents had the pattern you're suggesting (I think it was actually ten days on/off rather than two weeks). It was okay, but the problem in their case was that the two carers had different approaches, and my grandparents (and me) liked one a lot and the other much less. The good one would insist on getting my grandfather up during the day to sit in his chair and was generally more proactive. The less good one would let him stay in bed all day and generally lazier (she would also moan about the other carer). So I guess it works as long as the carers are compatible and singing from the same hymn sheet. If not, it's better to have one main carer. But yes you're right that currently you are dependent on one carer which may feel a bit perilous.

@Jaded'n'faded the carers were 24 hour live-in which I presume is relatively well paid, I think they were happy to have downtime.

Athlemea

Sep 25, 2016
Recently started live in care with two week pattern for my father.

The change over wasn't as disruptive as I feared but the Carter's break today, which I covered, does seem to have unsettled him...
(In other words I am the problem here!)

It's hard to know what's best, isn't it? There's no right answer, and what may be best may change. Good luck x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew