Partner's new behaviours

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
Hi, my husband has had trouble with recalling names of people for a couple of years now, but these past few months have brought some new things. Now, rather than searching for names, he occasionally doesn't recognize the names of people or places until I given them a lot of context (even ones he has been intimately familiar with, like my place of work). Also, he has real trouble sorting out the significance/relationships of people and their roles/actions in films we watch. Is this normal for age 74, or are we on a more rapid downhill slope? Unfortunately I am rather unforgiving of all this and have a hard time keeping calm while I try to talk him through things. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @gleeb and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @gleeb
a warm welcome to DTP
whatever the reason for your husband's lapses, you are clearly concerned so maybe keep a diary of things you notice, though don't keep it in your hand and note every small thing as you'll stress yourself out

given the situation at the moment, unless your husband has a health issue, I wouldn't phone your GP ... maybe send an email outlining your concerns and say you would like to chat them over when the current virus circumstances are improved ... that way the GP is alerted and can contact you if something in what you tell them raises their concern
when you do get an appointment, you will have the diary to evidence particular examples of your husband's behaviour, which will help with any diagnosis
older folk can be affected by a lack of some vitamins eg B12 so you may look into foods that would help and supplements

here's a thread that may help with responding to your husband

gleeb

Mar 26, 2020
A couple of years later and things have progressed. My husband had a CAT scan and has been diagnosed with moderate-to-severe temporal lobe atrophy and MCI. He will be undergoing tests soon to see if it will get worse or turn into something different. Many things I have read in this Forum have come to pass, but I found the piece offered on "Compassionate Communication for the Memory Impaired" to be especially helpful. It's me who has to change, not him. Thanks for your responses and support.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @gleeb
good to know the linked thread helped you
sorry to hear of the diagnosis ... keep posting; as you say, there's lots of support here