Partners moving in to care

Christinec

Aug 8, 2007
Although I have replied to posts I have never started a thread so I do hope I am in the right place and if not I know one of the wonderful moderators will sort me out.

I would really value any information or experiences anyone on TP has of someone moving in to care to be with a partner who has dementia and where the other partner does not have dementia or other physical problems but is older and very unhappy living alone.

I am really expecting any advice but it suddenly occurred to me that some of you may have knowledge of this situation.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Christine, your thresd is fine, and in the right place.:)

The best person to advise you on that is Alfjess, she did something similar.

If you click on her name, and click on 'Find all threads started by', you'll be able to read her story. I'm sure she'll be online later and will advise.

All the best,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I know of one lovely gentleman who, when he could not cope any more with his wife's care, moved them both into a care home.

Her dementia became more advanced, and his health started to go down also, age related.

She died some 4 years ago now, and he has happily stayed in the home. As he always says - "we were together to the end".

It can work well. Depends on the home of course, but that is paramount whenever someone goes into care.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Christinec

Sorry I can't help you.

I did move both Mum and Dad into care, but they both had dementia.

They were in a double room in a beautiful residential home, until Mum became very agitated.

She was then moved to hospital for assessment and was assessed as needing continuing care and moved to a B--- managed home.

Dad by this time was needing nursing care, so I moved him to the private section of the same home, hoping that we could get mum and dad together again, in the day, but unfortunately that didn't work out.

Best of luck
Take care
Alfjess

Christinec

Aug 8, 2007
Hi Alfjess,
Thank you for replying. I have read your posts and although my Dad does not have alzheimers he has other problems. It is hard to know if it would be positive for Mum if they were together and off course the other problem would be funding.

Worrying about two people as well as everything else can be hard going.

Best wishes. Take care.