Parks homes for the retired / elderly

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Anyway, assuming we're talking about park homes (i.e preconstructed homes placed on a static base), I'm not sure that despite that fact that the majority of the residents in these properties are elderly (68%) this is a good option, if only because only 76% are satisfied (which is lower than owners of other homes, social renters and private renters). All figures come from here http://www.communities.gov.uk/pub/827/EconomicsoftheparkhomesindustryPDF389Kb_id1151827.pdf

Also, and this may vary by the type, but most of the ones I've seen have several steps up to the front door, becasue of the construction method, and many elderly are going to have to have problems there at some point.

There's someone on the board (and I've forgotten who) who put one of these in her garden to house her mother and father. She might have some ideas about the practicalities.

Jennifer

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hi Jennifer,
It's Alfjess; her parents moved into a mobile home in her garden.
Love helen

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Well, if we're talking about static homes in general, then surely that's an appropriate thing to discuss on the boards

I believe that ' Park homes ' are a collection of sites....made of of different manufactured homes...not a single identity

you are correct,park homes is the general term for static homes as opposed to caravans.
There is a firm of that name,in the Midlands ,I think.

I believe 'Park Homes ' run many sites throughout the country, the owners / developers / builders are not ' Park homes '....a person buys the land and requests planning permission......I now know of over 20 ..been busy tonight ;) ....

Will this became a discussion...? Because I now have points to raise if so.....................

Thanks for al the PM's xxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So Abby, just to get this straight, we're talking about a type of housing, rather than anything else, is that right?

Jennifer

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Hi Jennifer..thanks for your reply....

I believe, Park homes, in itself is a Nationwide institution...as in the concept of homes for the retired / elderly. Then, I also believe they take ' tenders ' from builders / millionaires who buy the land to develop and call them ' Park Homes sites.....they then put the homes any homes, on the sites and make their own rules.....under the umbrella of Park Homes.......

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So not just a term for static housing, God, this is confusing :confused: Why on earth, I wonder, did they call themselves that? It's like calling yourself Bungalow or Semi-Detached homes. Anyway, obviously since it's a specific company (or a loose federation or whatever) PM's are the best way to go. No input, I'm afraid so I'll shut up now :)

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
So is it like a housing trust that buy land , build homes and sell them on to the public as in shared ownership or rental to those that can not afford to do shared ownership?

Therefore, park home buy land and sell them to the elderly giving them first property

Just wondering.

PS I had to look it up , found this http://www.housingcare.org/jargon-park-homes-5e4ec.aspx , abby why are you Interested in those homes ? as you father has AD yes

Would he not need a home that can give him assistant, as the AZ gets worse? Could it not be better to get him in to sheltered accommodation, until the time he needs to go into a care home full time ?

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
A friend of mine bought one of those places but it isn't at all suitable for elderly or disabled people, and she has had endless rows with the site owner. Also they depreciate while all other property around goes up in value. Now she's trying to sell it to buy a retirement flat.

Not that her experience is necessarily relevant to anyone else in here.

Lila