Parkinsons

sonia owen

Hi all,

I had to take my mum to the doctors the other week, as her blood pressure needed checking. He found it hard to get a true reading as she was shaking quite a bit. She has been shaking for awhile now. Had a chat about her to him. I think he is pretty sure she has Parkinson. He has referred her to see a consultant at the hospital.
Is Dementia and Parkinson related in many ways? Anyone know what kind of tests they do to confirm that it is Parkinson. Thank you.
Love Sonia xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There does seem to be a link Sonia but from what I`ve read here on TP the Parkinson`s comes first and then the dementia.

I`ve no personal experience so will leave it at that in the hope others may come on soon.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You can get the dementia first and then the Parkinson later, although its usually the other way around

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=113

Yes, I can confirm that, as Sue developed Parkinson's symptoms after having dementia for more than a decade. But depending on which professional we speak to she may just have Parkinsonism - i.e. some Parkinson's symptoms such as the typical bent knees gait.

But it is hard to be precise, just as it is with dementia alone. There is a scan specific to PD diagnosis which, I'm led to believe may be less complex to 'read', from the point of view of a diagnosis, than the scans which are used to diagnose dementia.

Some symptoms may be common to both conditions. When the brain is damaged, in whatever way, all sorts of things can happen, as we know.

Whatever the exact diagnosis Sue has had some benefit from Sinemet (Co-careldopa) though, as fitting is a possible side-effect, it may also have contributed to Sue's fits.

Then there is Lewy Body Disease.

Last edited:

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
Hi all,

I had to take my mum to the doctors the other week, as her blood pressure needed checking. He found it hard to get a true reading as she was shaking quite a bit. She has been shaking for awhile now. Had a chat about her to him. I think he is pretty sure she has Parkinson. He has referred her to see a consultant at the hospital.
Is Dementia and Parkinson related in many ways? Anyone know what kind of tests they do to confirm that it is Parkinson. Thank you.
Love Sonia xx

Hi, found out my Dad, 74, had Parkinson's, over a year ago, and this year I noticed the memory problems developing, and we finally got a Vascular Dementia diagnosis November this year. I've heard this is the most common order this happens in, but the time frame can vary a great deal.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi all,

Love Sonia xx

Hi

There are so many different types. Dementia with lewy bodies which share symptoms with alzheimers and parkinsons. They can medicate alz symptoms but not the dlb.

People can be diagnosed with parkinsons and not get dementia. Some do. Some get medication for parkinsons. Some people's parkinsons stays at a level.
Dementia I'm including with dementia with lewy bodies is progressive absolutely. Keeping healthy and looking after ones self makes the body stronger to deal with such diagnoses. It's important a correct diagnosis is made due to the differences in symptoms conditions and medicating and progressions.

All these facts are on the fact sheets. They are very informative.
I'm not medically trained. I'm my dad's carer. He has dlb and have trained in dementia awareness.
Best wishes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513