Parkinons Dementia

Andyfrank

Jun 23, 2022
My Father has now gone into a home, after months of going in and out of hospital. The Home he has gone into is one of the best in the area but I do wonder how much day to day staff understand the unpredictability of Parkisons. He is now displaying signs of dementia and the calls we receive from him are getting more and more distressing. Do others on the forum have experience of Parkinsons dementia x

Little moth

Jul 18, 2014
My Father has now gone into a home, after months of going in and out of hospital. The Home he has gone into is one of the best in the area but I do wonder how much day to day staff understand the unpredictability of Parkisons. He is now displaying signs of dementia and the calls we receive from him are getting more and more distressing. Do others on the forum have experience of Parkinsons dementia x
Hi @Andyfrank , do you know if there is a Parkinson's Clinic with a Parkinson's Nurse who could liase with the home. Getting medication on time is very important but can be a problem in a hospital or care home.
Also, I would ask to see the manager of the home, they might be able to help.

Andyfrank

Jun 23, 2022
Hi @Andyfrank , do you know if there is a Parkinson's Clinic with a Parkinson's Nurse who could liase with the home. Getting medication on time is very important but can be a problem in a hospital or care home.
Also, I would ask to see the manager of the home, they might be able to help.
Hi, there are bi-weekly visits by the doctors but my concern is the appreciation that the regular carers have regarding his condition. Perhaps we do need to speak at greater length to the Home Manager. Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Andyfrank and welcome to Talking Point.

Have you spoken to the care home manager about your concerns? I assume that your dad has his own phone in the care home and with dementia (of all types) what the person says on the phone is not always an accurate picture of what is happening. Are his calls mostly in the afternoon/evening when he is likely to be sundowning? Ask the manager how they are dealing with his increased confusion at that time.

I dont know how long he has been in the care home, but it can take a good couple of months for them to settle. During that time they have not learned to turn to the staff when distressed, so their thoughts go immediately to their main carer and if they have access to a phone, will phone them up instead of seeking out the staff.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Andyfrank
A warm welcome to DTP

My dad had aspects of Parkinson's and took Sinemet ... the staff quickly got to know the meds he took and were careful of timings etc ... they had daily records which all staff referred to at changeover so they all knew how each resident was and what they needed ... I chatted with staff regularly to build up a relationship with them (though this was pre COVID) so I could ask questions and share experience to help support dad ... so do talk with the manager and discuss anything on your mind

I do agree with canary about phone calls ... hard as it may seem, it's better that he becomes used to having support from the staff rather than calling you, which could risk setting up 'us against them' in his head ... and it may be that he is generally fine but calling triggers an anxiety reaction (at times dad would see me and immediately start complaining, but if I saw him first without him noticing me he was OK) ... do ask the staff how your dad seems during the day, this may set your mind at rest