Paranoid of theft

Kadz

Sep 29, 2017
My dad was diagnosed with early stage of dementia in March 2017. He has ways accused people to have stolen his things and he'd find them . Lately and increasingly, he has been thinking the gentleman above his house has been entering his property stealing his family pictures, bank statements etc. 2 years ago he bought servaral padlocks with the fear of break in by the same gentleman. He has called the police so many times in the last 2 years that they no longer go to the house . When he finds he's things he now says the guy has broken into the house and put back the things locking the padlocks back. He's even threatened to take the law into his hand and deal with the guy. Lately he has now suspecting everyone including close friends of bewitching him that is the reason he's constantly ill. He's gotten to even telling these people and everyone who knows them. I really do not know how to handle this. He lives alone in Leeds and I live in Grays. So most of my contact with him is over the phone. please help.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Welcome @Kadz .
I'd advise you for starters to contact your dad's doctors or Mental Health team urgently. They may be able to prescribe something to help. My husband also suffered extreme paranoia, so I understand what it's like trying to deal with. But for your dad, the fear he must be living in would be terrible. He really does need help.

Secondly, I would contact the police in his area and explain about his diagnosis and that the paranoia is a symptom. Just so they are aware, if things change before he is seen by the doctors.

It must be difficult, being at a distance. Maybe it's time to think about some Care for your dad, or a Day Centre, so he would have company and occupation during the day?

Kadz

Sep 29, 2017
Welcome @Kadz .
I'd advise you for starters to contact your dad's doctors or Mental Health team urgently. They may be able to prescribe something to help. My husband also suffered extreme paranoia, so I understand what it's like trying to deal with. But for your dad, the fear he must be living in would be terrible. He really does need help.

Secondly, I would contact the police in his area and explain about his diagnosis and that the paranoia is a symptom. Just so they are aware, if things change before he is seen by the doctors.

It must be difficult, being at a distance. Maybe it's time to think about some Care for your dad, or a Day Centre, so he would have company and occupation during the day?
Thank you for your advises. He's has refused help. He does not accept his condition

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for your advises. He's has refused help. He does not accept his condition
Im afraid that this is very,very common and if you are not nearby it is very difficult to insist.

The things you have described - thinking someone is breaking in and stealing things, calling the police, thinking people are poisoning/bewitching him - are so common they are almost diagnostic! He has anosognosia, which means that he is unable to understand that there is something wrong with him, so, therefore, his brain has to try and make sense of all the things that are happening to him and he is blaming outside people/influences. Even though the explanations his damaged brain has come up with seem laughable to others, to him it is deadly serious.

Write a letter to his GP outlining what is happening and all your concerns so that he is informed and also your letter will be in your dads file. Contact the police and explain that your dad has dementia and I would also contact the neighbour and say that if he is concerned (if your dad threatens him, or if he sees your dad out wandering) then he should call the police. The police will send a report back to Social Services and hopefully, your dads GP will do the same. Your dad cannot be forced to accept carers, but at least he will be on their records. If you need to contact SS, the "buzz words" to use are that he is a "vulnerable adult" and they have "a duty of care". Unfortunately you may have to wait for a crisis, which is not nice, but might be the only way something will happen to help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger