Paranoia Problem

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother used to spend hours leaning over the front gate desperately awaiting passers-by (and then of course they only stopped long enough to say hello), and wouldn't go to day centres etc.

Lila

Nebiroth said:
Yes he's quite mobile...he spends hours on the pavement outside the house hoping that someone will stop and talk to him. Which is annoying because he flatly refuses to go to a day centre. and then complains about being lonely and depressed as he has no-one to talk to.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Well Mum and Dad are seeing our GP tomorrow; Mum is going in first on a pretence, but actually it's to bring up the issues we have. Then Dad will see him with Mum still there.

I will wait to see the outcome of that, but if I'm not satisfied, I will phone the Memory Nurse, who is our primary contact with the local mental health unit - the consultant is based there as well. I will be saying that I am concerned that if this goes on, Dad could become a danger to others, and this is all having a detrimental effect on Mum's health as well.

The rehabilitation nurse was with us today and Dad starting ranting on about Mormons etc, Mum tried to intervene, and got yelled at - and she seemed quite shocked even though she deals with lots of people with AD!

Eventually it may end up with Dad staying in a care home, to "keep him safe from the neighbour", as it were. Possibly he needs a short stay whilst they work out what medications are needed, with professional care, the benefit being that he would be away from the thing that aggravates the delusions.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Nebiroth :)rolleyes: nope, still haven't worked it out!)

I'm glad that things are moving forward and that you have the support of the local team. As you say, once they realise how bad he has become and how much of a strain it must be on your Mum, it sounds likely that Dad will have at least a short stay in a care home where, hopefully, his medications can be sorted out to calm him. At least that will give Mum & yourself breathing space to recover a bit, and it can't be much fun for Dad either, being agitated &/or fearful most of the time.

I hope things go well

Best wishes

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
The sad thing is that he is now saying "I wish I hadn't said anything about Mormons yesterday in front of the nurse".

I think he realises he has, as it were, dropped himself in it.

However, I am pleased, because when he starts accusing us of betraying him to the doctors we can just say "maybe the nurse got worried and reported it".

It is so sad, as with Aricept, Dad had almost normalised - except for his being a bit repetative, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong. Until suddenly the "evil neighbour" switch flips of course.

BTW "Nebiroth" is a completely made up name with no origins and no meaning - it was the name of my character in a role-playing came I used to do ;)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Nebiroth said:
BTW "Nebiroth" is a completely made up name with no origins and no meaning - it was the name of my character in a role-playing came I used to do ;)

;) Thanks for that, I thought I was losing my touch!

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Well mum and dad just got back from the doctor.

The doctor was a bit shocked that things had got so bad and said that it's "definitely paranoid obsession".

He gave dad a good talking to and told him that it's all because of the illness, that he has these ideas and suspiscions, none of it is real and no one is trying to poison the cat or anything like that.

I don't think it went down very well - and I suspect it will all be forgotten as paranoids are always convinced they are right and everyone else is wrong.

But dad has been prescribed a "sleeping tablet" to take at night, which is really Olanzapine (something of a surprise that one!).

But Dad is very cunning, the doctor said "are you worrying about anything?"
dad said "we've had some trouble with neighbours damaging our house"
doctor said "is it one man in particular, perhaps Mr X?"
Dad says "oh no, I don't think it could be him"

Cunning old devil! Good job we'd put the doctor in the picture beforehand! Thankfuly after his public rant yesterday he thinks it was the visiting nnurse who reported him. Good job she's not coming again, mind you, he's sweet as honey to strangers, it's poor mum he goes for.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
It seemed so strange that doctors and nurses never acknowledged my mother's paranoia even after listening to some of her adventure fantasies. (But luckily she never thought anyone was trying to kill her. If they had she would probably have welcomed them as the solution to all her problems.)