paracetomol

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Fred who lives with us has recently been diagnosed with Early stage Alzheimer's

He keeps buying Paracetomol from the pound shop, today I saw him in there and tried to stop the transaction but I didnt succeed. You can get 3 packets for £1

Any suggestions?

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
That's a worry Sarah, good that you have spotted it. Is he actually taking them or is he buying them and forgetting then buying more? If he is taking even a normal-ish dose of them continuously for any length of time it can cause problems as, obviously can taking too many at a time. Although people can be prescribed them - if they are on them any length of time, their blood levels should be checked.

Has he said why he is buying them or are there any clues?

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
You are only supposed to be able to buy 2 packets at any one time so they shouldn't be able to sell you 3!!! Unless the law changed???

DazeInOurLives

Dec 10, 2009
East Midlands,UK
twitter.com
You are only supposed to be able to buy 2 packets at any one time so they shouldn't be able to sell you 3!!! Unless the law changed???

You can buy a maximum of 32 paracetamol tablets through pharmacy-sales and 16 for non-pharmacy sales.

As he lives with you, hopefully you'll be able to have an idea of whether he is in pain and actually taking any or if he is just getting them, just in case. It is more likely that he has simply forgotten that he has bought them already rather than that he has any sinister intentions.

Perhaps you could have a world with the shop manager and discreetly return them...that way Fred is not being stopped buying them, but he also isn't stockpiling them.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Sarah, that sounds expensive! Even in waitrose, plain paracetamol are only 25p a pkt of 16 and, as has been said, 32 is the max you can buy. That is because if you overdose, paracetamol will adversely, non-reversibly, affect your liver.
I would be worried. I take up to 8 a day on prescription, but I have regular blood tests for any effects.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Sarah,
I think you should share this with your colleagues and may you or one of them will report this to the Pound Shop with a view to holding back their sales to Fred.

It may help if one of his friends/colleagues talks to him about his purchases. Hopefully he can explain why he needs them (? pain) or has he other motives. Whatever the reason he may need more medical help and perhaps someone can point him in the right direction.

Best wishes - think about you in Northampton often (special place for me)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sarah

I found since becoming unwell I was constantly buying paracetamol an instinct really I was in pain, which was difficult to express but also wasn't being understood plus I was used to buying them for me he odd headache or just to have in the house. Losing sense of time and being fearful of being without I took to buying them at every opportunity, the nurse in me though hasn't forgotten there are limits to what can/should be taken.

Maybe someone in the house could take charge of what he has or needs and keep a daily chart with or for him to ensure he is pain free, knows who he can go to for a dose and helps him to record how many he has had??? It ma be worth trying to find out what he took paracetamol for pre his symptoms e.g. any arthritic joints because then it may be possible to relieve the pain without tablets but maybe a wheat cushion for example. Hope this makes sense.
Love
Sue:)

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
thanks for your replies
I think it's an addiction mentality thats the problem.
Fred was a notorious alcoholic in the town where he came from but has been dry now for years but I think its a behaviour pattern type behaviour
One of us is his medical carer and she takes care of his medication but he is crafty about this and when challenged gets really angry.
I will check out with poundland their policy it wasn't a usual branch he uses we had stopped off so I could look at daysacs for my walking exploits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086