Paracetamol and lewy body dementia

elbuort

Oct 23, 2015
Hi can anyone enlighten me on their experiences with the affects of paracetamol and lewy body dementia. I have read some forums on this sight regarding an article some time ago in the 'daily telegraph' and it appears it was discovered by accident that it controls anxiety and aggression in Alzheimer's. The person I am currently caring for (I will not release any personal details, in respect of the 'data protection act' and the individual) has lewy body dementia and recently has had so much arthritic pain the doctor has prescribed liquid paracetamol but there has been a sudden change in the persons pattern, and the affect of the paracetamol appears to suddenly drain all energy from the person, almost like being intoxicated, and more confused making cognitive ability, and response very poor, and the person lethargic roughly a 50% drop in cognition. I am not sure at this point but it would appear also the persons hallucinations have increased and sleep pattern more disrupted.

I am new at this sight as of today, I am a carer studying dementia.
Can anyone share or help me with this?

I look forward to reading your reply's.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I read on this site somewhere, forum I think, that paracetamol helps people with dementia sometimes making them more lucid and with it, but can't say I have personal experience of it.

If the person you are caring for still needs pain relief maybe ask pharmacist or GP for a codamol based pain killer, like cocodamol or solphadeine as these are codeine based which stops pain in the nerves but be aware they are also capable of causing constipation in patient so up the fibre too. Hope this helps.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi can anyone enlighten me on their experiences with the affects of paracetamol and lewy body dementia. I have read some forums on this sight regarding an article some time ago in the 'daily telegraph' and it appears it was discovered by accident that it controls anxiety and aggression in Alzheimer's. The person I am currently caring for (I will not release any personal details, in respect of the 'data protection act' and the individual) has lewy body dementia and recently has had so much arthritic pain the doctor has prescribed liquid paracetamol but there has been a sudden change in the persons pattern, and the affect of the paracetamol appears to suddenly drain all energy from the person, almost like being intoxicated, and more confused making cognitive ability, and response very poor, and the person lethargic roughly a 50% drop in cognition. I am not sure at this point but it would appear also the persons hallucinations have increased and sleep pattern more disrupted.

I am new at this sight as of today, I am a carer studying dementia.
Can anyone share or help me with this?

I look forward to reading your reply's.

Hi!

I care for my dad and he has dementia with lewybodies.
Pain is something that we have been battling with for many months.

Firstly as long as we remember that people with dementia still feel pain is important. You'd be suprised what some people think!
I recall somewhere reading about paracetamol. I be learned never to believe what I read instantly..and to for my own opinions and do my own research.
I'm always mindful that no two persons dementia journey is alike therefore the chances the likely hood of a pain killer affecting lots of people in the same way.
For us paracetamol didn't help my dad's pain and to be honest couldn't accurately say whether his pain killers affected his cognitive or lucidity as he has tias.

Cocodamols on the other hand with part codeine in had a real affect On making him light headed and zonked him on occasions. It was weighing up whether the pain outweighed the risk factors.

This no longer helped the pain.. (I was very concerned that my dad s dealing and feeling pain were made worse as he comprehends and judges things through his emotional side of his brain the amygdala. (See dementia friends sessions ).

Our gp didn't seem to be able to comprehend that and continued to prescribe 8 tramadols a day. This took him elsewhere and still pain wasn't completely gone.!

The consultant psychiatrist said that this wasn't recommended!

Hallelujah sense!

Sorry I know the message wasn't about all other meds but I didn't want others to go through what we have.

Pain for us is reactive and we treat with our logic to sort the emotions we are feeling. With most dementias they cant!!
When my dad's occupied and enjoying doing something he's more oblivious to his pain and reacts less emotionally to it. If his mood is lower he's distressed when in pain.
Look at the situation around the pain

I'm not medically trained and only talking about my dad. But after 7yrs of being his carer I've studied as much as I can to help him.

Best wishes

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
The only thing I can find online is the suggestion that pain increases behavioural problems in people with LBD - why wouldn't it, it certainly makes me more grumpy!

elbuort

Oct 23, 2015
lewy body dementia

Thanks everyone that hasn't really helped me at this point, I have been on a weeks break, come back to find the person with Lewy Body dementia's pattern had changed, more wired and tired more hallucinations, and after paracetamol has been taken appears sedated for a short period of time, then wired again. The pattern was completely different when I left to go on holiday.
I have looked at all the other possibilities:- UTI (was tested before I went away and all clear) change in routine from other carer (didn't appear to be any changes in the notes)
change in medication (only liquid paracetamol) the other thing could be a sudden 'drop' in the week I was away, sometimes progressive dementia is slow and other people it affects by suddenly dropping to a noticeable level.

More feedback would be good.
Thank you.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello elbuort. I am one of those people who uses paracetamol occasionally to help settle my mum when she is agitated at night and it works for her .she is much more calmer and sleeps better . Her renal function is impaired so I ensure she only has one tablet ( 500mgs) . Has your client had her bloods checked , in particular her renal function as the dosage may not be right and that's why they are experiencing lethargy etc. as the rate in which she excretes toxins may be reduced . Worth taking to the gp. Good luck .

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the decline is because the person has had to deal with change whilst you were away. Anxiety levels were probably raised too, and speaking from experience I know when I'm stressed my pain in my joints can go through the roof.

Maybe now the previous routine is back you may find in a few weeks normality will resume. My dad was much worse after I had a weekend away just because he knew I was further than the normal 8 miles away. (Only40 but the thought horrified him). But after a few days he recovered mostly.