Panorama - Undercover: Elderly Care

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Fiona Phillips is doing a great job championing the cause. I think I saw a trailer and it was upsetting, yes.

Louis Theroux is doing a programme about dementia too I think, next week, in his Extreme Love series.

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
I don't think I can watch it. Saw a piece on the programme on the 6 o'clock news and that upset me. I get upset enough as it is and I don't think I can take this on as well. I know it's important and I must not be an ostrich but I just can't

Jude

together

May 25, 2010
Derbyshire
Likewise, not sure if I can watch it. Am alone tonight and have had a wobbly few days already on my own personal guilt of not fighting for Mum hard enough in the care home she was in. Wish I hadn't seen it was on tonight.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Anyone watching Panorama tonight?

Is anyone watching Panorama tonight about abuse in care homes?

I'm in two minds. I've seen clips on the news and that was upsetting enough.

But part of me is saying, if I shut my eyes to it, it won't go away, and should I be looking out for worrying signs in Mum's care home?

Anyone else as indecisive as me?

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
I don't think I can watch it. Saw a piece on the programme on the 6 o'clock news and that upset me. I get upset enough as it is and I don't think I can take this on as well. I know it's important and I must not be an ostrich but I just can't

Jude

I'm feeling the same, Jude.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hello, I felt like you, but feel I ought to watch it to develop my awareness, even though I know it will be harrowing.

Jan

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
This abuse is everyones fear about care homes...and my reason for hoping to keep my mum in her home to the bitter end...my grandmother went in a home for a while and became very introverted and had many black bruises, she died in hospital from pneumonia. Having said that... care homes are so needed and provide many with safety and good care being the only option left.

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london
This news item made me cry at 6pm so God knows how i will get through it at 8.30. Its worth also taking a look at the official Ash Court website before it inevitably crashes under the strain of all the viewings.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Are you all watching it? Can you let me know what you think, please.

Also - did you see Louis Theroux on autism? Our son watched it and got distressed as the parents' ways of managing their children were similar to his way of managing his father as the behaviour of the autistic was similar to the behaviour of my husband. And our poor son is only 22. He said his father's tantrums and ways of hitting were idential to the autism sufferers'.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Well done Jane Worroll for secretly filming your mother Maria being "cared for" by non-carers. I hope many other relatives who are deeply concerned about their loved one's quality of care will take a leaf from your book.

There is nothing wrong with trusting your instincts and Jane's instinct was absolutely right.

I don't know if my uncle was abused physically but he most certainly was left to rot and now he's been moved to another nursing home he is a different person just like Maria.