Panorama tv programme

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As I said, I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. Too often. though, when people complain about selling their parent's property to pay for care, they're more concerned about the inheritance issue, than ensuring that the care is adequate. Even throwing money at the problem, though, doesn't guarantee anything with regard to the quality of the care (would that it did). Unfortunately, or fortunately, many of us have benefitted massively from the increases in property values - a case could be made for some of that windfall being plowed back (not that I'm necessarily saying that). The whole system is not fair, but then it's not fair that our loved ones have dementia.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I don't agree that "we've all benefitted from rises in property values" as we all have to live somewhere, and the only way to get money from your house, would be to sell it and buy a minute flat, or move from London and the South East to the Outer Hebrides. We tend to live near our family and friends and would not particularly want to move to a cheaper area, just to get the profit from our house. Anyway, most areas are expensive now. The bigger the house you own, the more Council Tax you have to pay.
I think that people like to pass their house on to their children, because it means their hard work through the years is directly benefitting their heirs. If people realise that their children are unlikely to inherit anything because of Care Home fees, then future generations might not bother to save up and buy property, as there will be no motivation.
It is quite a struggle nowadays, making sure your children make it through University without getting into debt, and then helping them to save up enough money, to scrape up a deposit on their first house. Everyone talks about family values nowadays. Surely one generation helping the older and younger generations, financially and emotionally, is an important part of living. If parents leave some money or property to their offspring, then it will eventually filter through to their children, which means that the State doesn't need to worry about them. Obviously this income is taxed like any other income.
Kayla

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Most of us pay our taxes etc all our working lives,and after that for some.
Some live long enough to reap the benefits of their contributions,some don't,so that is swings and roundabouts.
When someone has saved and worked hard to buy a house they should be entitled to do what they wish with it when they die.
If they wish they should be able to leave it to the dog's home,a charity, or wherever they wish,the family may not always benefit,or indeed wish to benefit.
They should not be expected to subidise others who have made no contributions.
IMHO
Norman

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951