Panorama - The Forgotten Frontline

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
On Panorama tonight they are covering the impact of covid-19 on two different care homes. It won't be an easy watch, but for those interested it's on BBC at 9pm:

Panorama follows the unfolding tragedy in care homes as they struggle to protect residents against the killer virus. Over several months, cameras were allowed into two very different care homes, revealing the dedication of care staff, the frustration of managers and the heartache as more and more lives were lost.

Across the country, more than 20,000 residents and care workers have died with Covid-19. Reporter Alison Holt asks if care homes were abandoned to fight the virus alone.

Bella6

Jul 25, 2020
Hi @Louise7 - thanks for posting about the Panorama programme 'The Forgotten Frontline'. I watched it this morning on the BBC iPlayer and as you said, it wasn't easy to watch. However, the two Care Homes featured in the programme were inspirational, and the staff's devotion and deeply caring natures shone through.

Panorama's investigation provides some insight into what has just happened in Care Homes and I hope many people watch it. I think though that it should have looked more into the role of local authorities. I would like to share here a small part of a letter I received in May from a company that owns many Care Homes across England. They described their struggle with positive Covid19 cases in several of their Homes and said: "The local responses have been somewhat inconsistent and in some cases we have had to spend inordinate amounts of time attempting to liaise with local authorities and Public Health England. In other areas, the support has been nothing short of exceptional."

Has anyone reading this post also had letters or calls from their LO's Care Home about how they've coped?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I had a similar letter from the CEO of the company that runs mum’s care home. They are exasperated by the messages the government is sending out about the help they’re are ‘supposedly offering’. It suggests writing to your MP. I’ve done it once recently, but will do it again.
I thought the Panorama programme was excellent. Not just because it showed you what homes have been through, but because it showed how homes really do support people with dementia.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Hubby and I watched it on thursday night, teared up a few times and was also fuming , Government should be made to sit and watch it. They should be ashamed of themselves. I felt so sorry for the staff in the homes it must be traumatic. Also the poor familys and residents too. Its like they just don’t matter