Panorama Sunday March 5th

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Thanks for the 'heads-up'. Not only will I watch & record the programme, but I've printed off the synopsis for my rapidly-expanding AD file.

Tressa

May 18, 2004
N. Ireland
Panorama Programme

Hi all,

I watched and taped this programme last night but was already aware of this situation as I have already been told by our Trust that my mums half of the house will have to go to paying her care home fees. My mum isn't in a home yet but her Care Manager in my opinion is trying to force me to put her in a home. We jointly own the house and I am want the money to be used to benefit my mum, after all it is hers but not if the Trust should be paying her home fees when the time comes. I was left with a helpless feeling after the programme as it only highlighted the problem but never give any indication of where you go to for help, or will it be the case that we all know the government is swindling people but there is nothing can be done??

I feel that my mum and I have been let down by the system. When my mum was diagnosed neither her Care Manager, consultant or anybody told me about Powers of Attorney or Wills or Guardianship or the possiblility of losing our home to pay for care home fees. Yes maybe I should have checked these things out but I was in shock for a good few many years at the fact that I was losing my mum to AD. I just never thought all these things could happen. And now I am in a situation were I am battling to keep my mum at home as long as possible but the Care Manager is threatening to put mum in home even when she is not ready for it. And it feels as if my mum has no human rights as a person and that these people can come in and take your mum and your home and nothing can be done about it.

Sorry for the rant, but this programme just highlighted the despair that I and many must go through.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation where they were never informed of important legal matters?