Panicking and feeling shaky

Liney

Sep 4, 2019
My mum-in-law was diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s Disease in March 2019. Her son and myself managed to get her into a really good care home just round the corner from us. She is well cared for and has put back the weight she had lost while living on her own.

Christmas 2018, while trying to cope with her anxiety and panic attacks and before she was diagnosed and put on medication, I was off sick for 4 months with laryngitis which my GP told me was caused by stress while trying to look after my mum-in-law. She still suffers panic attacks and always feels shaky inside. She continually needs reassurance but it doesn’t help her.

I am so terrified of being ill again that I don’t want anything to do with her. I would be happy if I never saw her again, but my husband insists on having her at our house every Sunday. When she starts panicking, I disappear upstairs with some excuse.

What I would really like to know is how to deal with her panic attacks and feeling shaky.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Liney
welcome to posting on DTP
I think you have every right to look after your own health
and although I appreciate your husband wanting to have Sunday with his mother, I can't help wondering if it's wise to take her out of her familiar and usual surroundings ... although you seem to imply that she is anxious in her care home too
sadly the anxiety can be part of the dementia .... maybe ask for a review of her meds as a tweak or some new meds may help

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Liney and welcome to DTP
Sometimes taking a PWD out their familiar surroundings can making them unsettled, I agree with @Shedrech see if her GP can help her with her anxiety
Now you have found the forum I hope you will continue to post

Liney

Sep 4, 2019
Thank you for your comments. She panics and feels shaky even while in the home. Her medication has been tweaked, she’s on an extra pill. But at the moment not working. I agree that she should be left in The care home but my husband insists on taking her out and other people agree with him. At the moment she is aware of her surroundings but there will come a time when she won’t and I think that’s why my husband will take her out while he can.