Panic attacks

JaneO

Jul 23, 2015
Eltham, London
Hi all, this is my first message as my mum has only recently been diagnosed. At the moment she is suffering with awful panic attacks, which is really unsettling for her. Has anyone had a similar experience? Wanted to know if we should expect these to continue all the time or if they settle down after a while. Mum was on doneprazil, but we took her off this as thought they were causing symptoms but it hasn't helped.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I can't help with the panic attacks but It's not advisable to take someone suddenly off a medication like Donepezil without informing the doctor. Usually the way is to reduce the dosis from 10mg to 5mg before taking it off completely. I suggest you contact the doctor to tell him of your concerns.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Jane, firstly a warm welcome to you here at Talking Point, so sorry on top of mum being recently diagnosed with dementia, the dreaded panic attacks hsve reared their ugly head, my mum and alas also my mum in law when starting the road to dementia journey, both had these, the panic attacks seemed to happen before really noticeable changes:rolleyes: mum has Alzheimers and mum in law vascular dementia (for which Donepezil is unsuitable) alas a mild chemical cosh was needed for them both, lorazepam and Mirtazapine, just to help calm but not make them like zombies,so a home visit by the GP would be the best place to start and if possible keep notes on when and what time mum is more agitated and let the doctor know, with the weekend coming up..which I think we as carers all dread at times, maybe a call to them before end of surgery tonight to see if they can advise you how to get help "after hours" without subjecting mum being admitted to hospital should she be in so much distress.
Hope you get help today
Best wishes
Chris

JaneO

Jul 23, 2015
Eltham, London
Hi Chris, thanks so much for your kind words and suggestions. Have made an appointment with GP to hopefully get something sorted. The weekend wasn't too bad, mum was reasonably settled :)