panic attacks ?

M_M

Apr 12, 2013
Hi

Lately my mum (72 years old Alzheimer sufferer) has been experiencing weird symptoms... there is apparently nothing of physical nature (my dad who is her carer has taken her to A&E several times) but she feels like "she is going".. taking into account the fact that her condition has affected partly her ability to communicate ... (she struggles at times to remember the right words etc) .. of the late she has every now and then what could be considered as panic attacks.. she feels something is not right in her head, chest and feels as if she is going faint... it is difficult to pin point exactly as other than saying she is very unwell she cannot properly describe what is wrong with her... Her medications have been diminished in dosage.. she is using the Exelon Patch 4mg and Serenace (4 drops x3 times a day) ...it does sometimes occur when the weather is not good (i have read that Alzheimer's sufferers are affected by dark, gloomy weather conditions) but no one seems to be able to understand why she feels like she is dieing ...has head banging and feels fainting ... Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Any suggestion more than welcome.
Thank you!!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mum was diagnosed with Neuritis which is usually an inflammation of the nerve, but her GP suspects its damage to the nerve due to her vascular dementia

It started with panic attacks then she would get the "spinnies" as she would call them and a couple of times she stumbled over the pattern in the carpet.

She is on medication, I can't remember the name of, which has (over time) really helped with her balance. If she misses a tablet, she gets the spinnies back again.

With your mum It could be an ear infection, which has been "hiding" and is now causing her panic attacks as she feels dizzy.

Best get it checked by the GP

M_M

Apr 12, 2013
Hi 2jays
thanks for your reply.. my dad has taken her to the hospital several times when she got these attacks but that is the problem, they can't find any 'physical' problem.. this is why we can't figure out what is causing her to feel that way ..so badly that she actually wants to go to the hospital (she has always been quite against making a fuss about her health ... ) it puzzles us as it is unexpected and seems quite intense .. but the doctors cannot think of a reason.. :(

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Nothing showed up in my mums ears either. Her GP just prescribed the tablets and they have done the trick.

Mum was having a bad panic attack at the time, I actually thought she was having a TIA and rushed her to the GP ( we were parked in the carpark near the surgery) He checked her over, and suggested the tablets.

I THINK they are called Prochlorperazine (been googling)
Seeing mum on Wednesday, so I shall make a note of the name.