Panic attacks

coughdrop

Sep 7, 2018
my dad has Alzheimer’s and mixed dementia also throat cancer but not able to go to any drs or hospital appointment as he is having panic attacks as he is now suffering from claustrophobia. Has anyone experienced having problems getting into cars or any form of transport. We have tried various different medications but not worked. Also tried open top car, Morris Minor. Help or suggestions needed. Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I haven’t come across this problem before but wonder if the GP would do home visits and if the hospital ambulance service would have experience of such a situation so be able to collect your dad from home.

I hope others with some actual experience of such a situation will be able to help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Getting in and out of cars is a common problem.
As has been said ask if the GP will do a home visit.
Any transport to hospital is usually organised by the GP, maybe reluctant as they may be charged.
Try Googling 'patient transport service <something identifying area/hospital>' and see what you get.

coughdrop

Sep 7, 2018
We have had the GP out and we have tried various methods of medication but none are working. We are getting a ambulance now with dementia friendly staff and we have explained about dad but we will see how that goes. Thanks