panic Attack whilst out shopping

Rushdenboy

Nov 17, 2020
help please today i went shopping on my own and had a panic attack for the first time ever don't know why because have all way been able to follow a shopping list worried it will happen again help please

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think the big corona thing/threat is affecting everyone in the strangest of ways.

Take a deep breath , maybe go out of the shop and gather yourself.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
Can you recall what unsettled you and bought on the panic attack? If it was not being able to find the things you wanted, if you know the layout of the store would it help to write your shopping list in order? For example the store I shop in all the fruit and veg are at the start of the store and walking up and down the aisles the next items are the personal care and medicines etc

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i have had them for a long time. the more you fear getting them again, the more potential there is to have one. what worked for me is thinking the body will go back to normal on its own and not fatal. if you can work out early then find something to do to distract yourself. i play with my wedding ring just to distract so you can get some control. do what works for you, look at your watch, shopping list to get interested in them then you will find anxiety comes down and you can carry on.it takes practice like mindfulness but if you get to it quickly will be able to control. look up mindfulness. they are scary and i fainted with mine which was embarrassing.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
There’s is also a mindfulness breathing exercise that could help. Take a few moments to breath deeply, follow your breath three or four times (feel it going in through your nose, feel your chest and abdomen rise and then feel your breath exhale and your chest and abdomen relax). Add to the moment by thinking to yourself several times ‘I can do this, this too will pass’

Concentrating on your breathing and the words is intended to distract your mind from the panic attack

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
May I ask how you dealt with your panic attack? Well done for getting back home and posting, however you managed it.

It is extremely stressful going out at present, even without the extra anxieties that you have to deal with. It is worth thinking about what the trigger was, if there was an obvious one and see if you can come up with a strategy or coping mechanism to help avoid it happening again - or be confident that you can deal with it if it does. Some useful suggestions already. Keep posting for support and we'll all help you along

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
There’s is also a mindfulness breathing exercise that could help. Take a few moments to breath deeply, follow your breath three or four times (feel it going in through your nose, feel your chest and abdomen rise and then feel your breath exhale and your chest and abdomen relax). Add to the moment by thinking to yourself several times ‘I can do this, this too will pass’

Concentrating on your breathing and the words is intended to distract your mind from the panic attack
I've found that, although I've no idea why, if you put the thumb of your dominant hand just under your chin, and the middle finger in the centre of your forehead, just slightly above eyebrow level (think it's the "third eye" spot) as you do this breathing exercise, it really enhances the effectiveness.

Tracy51

Nov 9, 2020
Glasgow
Having had panic attacks before I know how scary it is.I found trying to remember the words of a song or reciting a poem under my breath concentrating hard helped as well as slowing down breathing,it does pass but is terrifying while it lasts,you are not alone.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I can only echo what @jennifer1967 said above. The fear of having another panic attack can start a vicious circle. As well as concentrating on deep breaths, a calming mantra can be helpful. Like “This is just a panic feeling, it can’t hurt me and it will pass” or similar. Don’t try to fight against it, just feel it and be aware that it will feel horrible for a short time then it will go away.

I haven’t had one for years but I remember how awful they are. I tried a variety of things and found some helpful and some not, there will be something out there that suits you. Guided meditation mp3’s, Claire Weekes books and mp3’s and CBT suited me best, but other people find Claire Weekes “old fashioned“ - everyone’s different.

I heard something once that’s always stuck with me about the effect of your thoughts on how you feel. To paraphrase it:

Two Men are queuing for a brand new and extreme roller coaster ride. One is a roller coaster fanatic and beside himself with excitement. His knees are shaking, heart pounding, and he has butterflies in his stomach. His only thought is “I can’t wait to get on this ride at last! It’s gonna be the ultimate blast!!”

The other man hates roller coasters and is terrified, but his new girlfriend loves them, so he’s trying to hide his fear. His knees are shaking, heart pounding and stomach is churning. His only thought is, “I want to run away and be sick, I can’t do this - I bet it’s gonna crash!!”

They are both feeling the same physical effects of adrenaline. Only their thoughts are different. IF you have another panic attack (and you might never have another), know that you can cope with it and let it run it’s course. Best wishes.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i did DBT dialetic behavioural therapy and its about mindfulness and practising how you can bring down your anxiety to a lower level that you can deal with before it overwhelms you. in the minute