Pandemic Flu

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Do and are you all aware that a pandemic flu is expected and that plans are being put into action. What the Government has advised is that you wash your hands after being out, cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing,after blowing your nose put the hanky in a bag in the bin don't go out. Can you imagine telling a Dementia sufferer this. Do any of you know what is in place if you or who you care for gets it. I advice you all to check up as they say it will stretch resourses to the limit. Plans are in place for the puplic. busnesses,emergency services but there is nothing about what carers have to do if they or the person they care for gets it.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Flue

I too have been worried about who would care for my husband if I got the flue and today we both had our flue shots at the doctors. As I am a carer I was entitled to the flue injection and although husband Ken didn't fit any of the criteria on the form, he too got his flue jab. Is this vaccination against the pandemic flue you have forecast? Anyway just for the record, any carer is entitled to the flue jab.
Love Tina

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
No the flu jab you can get now will have no affect. The vaccine for the pandemic flu would take about 6 months to produce after the outbreak. There is sites about it on the net. My problem would be if i am called out. Something else to get on to Social Services about.
They do not know when it will hit but they say its expected

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
They do not know when it will hit but they say its expected

... and nuclear war was predicted in the 60s, but hasn't happened yet.

It is like the whole debate about reasons for climate change, or causes of Alzheimer's, etc ... there is insufficient reliable data to do more than say the situation exists and let's try and alleviate things until more data is available.

The problem is that 'experts' try to make predictions, for whatever reason, based on what they have. They need to, to move the situation along, but it doesn't mean they are correct, or that they understand the timescales concerned.

The most famous cases of working on insufficient data that I know of are:

1) figuring out why cholera was rife in London a couple of centuries ago. There were all sorts of theories - bad air, among them. It wasn't until someone mapped the incidences of cases that they realised it was a particular water source that was causing it. When that was sorted, the cases ceased.

2) in the last war the government worried about whether the V1 flying bomb had any intelligence built in, and thus whether Germany could target specific military sites. When the locations of all the V1 hits were mapped, using something with very fine granularity - ie with London split into lots of small squares - the V1 was found to be almost the perfect demonstration of random number generation. That is, they simply fell totally at random. The data is now used for statistical courses to demonstrate that.

Bottom line - the jury is out on all these tings. Do what we can day by day to care for our loved ones, try and plan as much as we can, do what we think is the right thing to do.

Wait until there is adequate data then believe the proposition being put forward.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well said Brucie. If we live in fear of what MIGHT happen, we live in fear.
I`m not saying we shouldn`t be aware, and take necessary precautions, when available, but, as we all know, we could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bruce & Sylvia

I agree. If bird flu should arrive in this country, the media will be full of it. Until then, It's way down on my list of things to worry about.