Palliative Care -

MaryMac54

Aug 23, 2019
I haven't post for quite a while as my husband went to a care home. They have been lovely until recently. My husband's progress has retreated and he has become somewhat difficult. He has lost the ability to communicate with speach and has been difficult to get involved with things. He was practical and loved helping people with plumbing, decorating, going to the tip and all the things a care home can't provide. After a long discussion with the GP we have agreed on palliative care. However, this means moving to a Nursing Home. Okay you would think. He has not been eating or drinking for 3 weeks and now refusing to shower or leave his room. During the convesation with the GP he said I will ask the staff to use sponge thingys to refresh his mouth. The response from the care home is that they are not allowed to do this. So tonight I am going to bed knowing my husband is not getting the basic care or comfort for his dry mouth. I am shocked!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The response from the care home is that they are not allowed to do this.

This is new to me. The only excuse I can think of is covid and infection but even so I don't understand how it can be acceptable.

Please contact the helpline Dementia Connect for advice

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This is new to me. The only excuse I can think of is covid and infection but even so I don't understand how it can be acceptable.

Please contact the helpline Dementia Connect for advice

we werent allowed to use sponges on sticks as it was a choke hazard if it falls off the stick or the resident chews it off.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had the same experience as Jennifer - they were considered a choke hazard.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh for heaven's sake! Why can't common sense be applied in situations like this?

The poor man is dying! If he needs his mouth to be made moist, there are a million ways that could be achieved. If sponges on sticks are really a choking or covid risk, improvise and use something else! You can't not do it and the care home need to get a pipette or syringe and apply water drop by drop or just wipe his mouth with a wet cloth. Or maybe use a damp toothbrush. Even a wet gloved finger. What is wrong with these people??