Palliative care chc funding do we need to top up?

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Wondered if anyone knew if chc funding being funded for end of life care needs a top up. I assumed wrongly I think that all care would now be funded. We need to find mum a nursing home from hospital as previously self funding in carehome. Chc say they fund nursing part of care but we top up daily care cost. Any advice please.

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
My mum is self funding in a nursing home, and she needs help with all aspects of her day. Full CHC is really hard to get, we are waiting for outcome of assessment, we are hoping for part funding (approx £156 a week) which will help. But the rest Mum have to fund herself.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
If CHC funding is granted then relatives aren't allowed to top up the funding - plse see the CHC thread.

Suspect the confusion is about the terminology. If CHC isn't granted for someone who needs an element of nursing care, the state funds that part of their care costs.

Someone reaching end of life should be fast-tracked for CHC assessment. Do you know whether that's been done and what the outcome was? You should have been involved in the process.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Wondered if anyone knew if chc funding being funded for end of life care needs a top up. I assumed wrongly I think that all care would now be funded. We need to find mum a nursing home from hospital as previously self funding in carehome. Chc say they fund nursing part of care but we top up daily care cost. Any advice please.

I'm a bit confused, the thread is titled "palliative care" which is for the terminally ill,
it seems that AZ doesn't qualify as being "end of life care" even though NHS choices says "What end of life care involves - NHS Choices
www.nhs.uk/Planners/end...care/.../what-it-involves-and-when-it-starts.as...
by NHS Choices - ‎2016
End of life care includes palliative care. If you have an illness that can't be cured, palliative care makes you as comfortable as possible, by managing your pain and other distressing symptoms.[/QUOTE]
"illness that can't be cured," it seems don't cover AZ.
K

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I'm a bit confused, the thread is titled "palliative care" which is for the terminally ill,
it seems that AZ doesn't qualify as being "end of life care" even though NHS choices says "What end of life care involves - NHS Choices
www.nhs.uk/Planners/end...care/.../what-it-involves-and-when-it-starts.as...
by NHS Choices - ‎2016
End of life care includes palliative care. If you have an illness that can't be cured, palliative care makes you as comfortable as possible, by managing your pain and other distressing symptoms.
"illness that can't be cured," it seems don't cover AZ.
K[/QUOTE]

Problem with AZ is that many sufferers are at 'end of life' for a lot longer than in any other disease, as it has such a slow trajectory.
Most doctors would find it hard to say on dementia alone that anyone was at that stage- unless they had another co-morbidity which was at that stage.

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Yes mum has been fast tracked for chic medics say she is end of life care but I think it is around 750 pounds allocated and rest needs to be topped up I think!

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My MIL was fast-tracked for CHC in the last few months of her life in a nursing home. She didn't have any major health problems that were not directly related to her dementia. I know now that we were exraordinarily fortunate to get this.

I'm sure I've read often on TP that top-ups aren't allowed if you get full CHC funding. But if you don't meet the threshold for full CHC and you get funded nursing care instead, that's another story.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I was told anecdotally recently that care agencies and care homes receive less from CHC than a self-funding client would pay, and that at least one care agency had declined to take on a client because they were CHC funded.
My dad was recently awarded fast-track CHC (end of life) but his nursing home have not asked for any top up.
I always understood that when CHC is awarded all care costs are paid by the NHS.