Palliative care assessment

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hello
My friend has been referred for palliative care assessment and the nurses are coming next week to carry it out. What can we expect? We spoke to GP about having a DNR form completed, but not sure what else will be involved. Can someone please advise? I am a bit nervous to be fair...

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
In my experience of a palliative care assessment, they talk about what the person wants at the end of their live ie to die at home etc.
They’ll tell you what support is available for you & make a plan.
I wish you strength as TP it’s a difficult thing to deal with.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Szaitisja Palliative care is all about keeping the patient comfortable without prolonging life. It all depends on the individual patient and whatever illness they have.

My dad has alzheimers and an advanced cancer. He is not having chemotherapy as it would likely worsen his alzheimers and also the risks would outweigh the benefits as chemo could make him very ill. This was decided by his oncologist and we all agreed. He has however had a stent put in his oesophagus so that he can eat which has worked amazingly well. He will also have any medication that would benefit him like antibiotics if needed. He had blood transfusions when they were necessary and may be considered for a course of palliative radiotherapy although I think that will be less likely as time goes on.

Sometimes people think palliative care means the end of any treatment but really it is just about giving whatever is needed to relieve symptoms without prolonging life.

Dad has a DNAR at home which was the right thing to do.

Don't worry too much about the meeting, dad has been on palliative care for 18 months now.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Thank you:) I am probably worRied more in case it upsets R. She is terribly scared of dying and often talks about how scared she is when she is a bit down. She is deteriorating much quicker lately and I contacted GP to see what things need to be put in place just in case. I just hope they will be approaching the questions etc in a really gentle way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FutureMrsBrown