• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Pains in the head

Gilly1952

Jun 19, 2017
Kent
My husband has vascular dementia - diagnosed four and a half years ago but I suspect it was coming on for at least a couple of years before I managed to get him to the GP. Just over two years ago he started having an occasional severe pain in his head. It would come on completely out of the blue and last for between 30 seconds and a minute. Once the pain subsided he felt weak, disorientated and tired and often had a little nap. He never remembers these episodes after they have occurred. It was investigated when it began and we saw a consultant who said there was nothing on the scans to show what could be causing the pains but it might be a "migraine". However as I always noticed a deterioration in my husbands dementia shortly after one of these episodes, I asked if they could be TIAs. The consultant said they couldn't be because TIAs are painless. For a while the pains only happened every couple of months and then disappeared completely for about six months, but in the last couple of weeks they have come back with a vengeance. They are happening daily and sometimes the pain is so intense it reduces my husband to tears. The pain disappears almost as quickly as it begins. I've got an appointment to speak to the GP again tomorrow but I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I don't want to get fobbed off again with the "migraine" excuse.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Unfortunately, there are many, many things that can cause pain in the head, but what it cant be is something in the brain itself as there are no pain receptor nerves in the brain. Its usually caused by something in the muscles, other nerves (especially in the neck) or blood vessels. It could be referred pain from neck problems, postural problems causing muscle problems, blood vessel spasms from migraine or fatigue which gives a flash of pain through the head............... all sorts of things.
What its not going to be, though, is a stroke or TIA, because the brain itself cant register pain. Sometimes it can be a while before you get to the bottom of what is causing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danny62