Painkillers to cover any pain which we are uncertain of?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I read that many do this as a way of covering pain we dont know about, bone pain etc

GP doesnt agree. Might try and ask the concultant.

My mother isnt sleeping, has had a fair few UTIs. She has a bit of arthritis, she has lost weight, moves slower and bent over slighlty. Her legs often stay bent during the night and her body can be quite stiff.She has severe dementia.

Told GP all this but she doesnt agree about giving meds for no reason.thoughts?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would think that paracetamol is a sufficiently benign drug that two before she goes to bed might relax whatever mild pain she has.

Snap @Cat27

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I believe it is good practice to give a pwd paracetamol to alleviate any discomfort unless otherise contraindicated. Mum has really bad OA pain and simple analgesia makes a world of difference in her sleep routine, keeps her comfortable at night

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
thanks for advice

We give whiskey at night so cant give painkillers while on that but will be coming off that again soon as not sleeping at all. Need to go back to sedation unfortuantely.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
thanks for advice

We give whiskey at night so cant give painkillers while on that but will be coming off that again soon as not sleeping at all. Need to go back to sedation unfortuantely.
I think the Whisky could be a lot more harmful than paracetamol. Alcohol is sometimes the cause of falls so needs be careful.