Pain relief

tishtosh18

Aug 15, 2018
My mother is dying from dementia - not eaten now for a week not drank more than a teaspoon. I understand someone fails to eat or drink when they are dying.
We (medical professionals) have decided no antibiotics for chest ... just paracetamol or possibly morphine to relieve pain.. However she is not communicating any longer and can not Swallow.
Now having hallucinations or moaning loudly (shouting) but the nursing staff are reluctant to give injections for her peace.
I am trusting them but she is my mum .. am i right?
Doctors tôd me on 25.3 she had 2-3 weeks!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Why wont the nursing staff give injections for pain relief?
Is it because the doctors have not signed for this?
Get hold of the doctors (unfortunately I realise its the weekend now) and insist that she is reassessed.
Usually at this stage the doctors are looking at patches or a syringe driver to give a constant supply of pain relief.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @tishtosh18

I’m guessing you are in England & am basing on that ;)

First of all, has the doctor said she’s on End of Life? If so, the doctor needs to apply for CHC. Also, they should order a Just In Case (JIC) box. This has all the pain meds that she might need to ease the pain, they may use a syringe driver, which delivers the pain meds automatically.

You are your mums voice now, so you need to ask for her. It’s a very hard stage for you, please be kind to yourself

mumsgone

Dec 23, 2015
if you consider your mother is in pain insist on the doctors giving her morphine patches to relieve this. You don't say if an end of life plan has been discussed. but it should have been. I hope your mum slips away peacefully hard as it may seem the end is near and soon she will no longer be suffering. look after yourselves take care xx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
As mentioned by @Sam Luvit , there is a medication pack which is given to those caring at home for end-of-life care. One of the injectables included is midazolam for agitation. There is also one for pain relief and another, cyclizine, for nausea.

Do you have a MacMillan nurse or one provided by the palliative care service. You need to contact them to administer the injection. There is a meds sheet with the medication which the nurse will need.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....nd-agitation/11119466.article?firstPass=false