Paid for mothers care

sahr

Feb 18, 2014
Hello
Can anyone help, I paid a large amount for my mothers care, (I have Legal and financial POA) from my own money. I would like to take it back as she can afford it. But I am worried that it will be seen as deprivation of her assets and I will be taken to court. I did it in good faith as had no time to withdraw her money and sell shares etc at the time. She was in hospital and she then needed live in care.
She has lewybody dementia and all her money is going on her care. After 7 yrs and she is still with us. Lovely to look after, I am very lucky.
Just I worry about the money alot and need to resolve the sitiation for my own peace of mind. As I have other decisions to make about her future care now and it is weighing on me too much.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello sabres,

As long as you have receipts showing what you have paid out of your own account in her behalf then I’m sure there will be no problem taking what is owed to you. As long as figures tally then there is no discrepancy.

sahr

Feb 18, 2014
Hello sabres,

As long as you have receipts showing what you have paid out of your own account in her behalf then I’m sure there will be no problem taking what is owed to you. As long as figures tally then there is no discrepancy.
Thank you jaymor
I just worry that i will be hauled up to the court of protection. Maybe i am worrying too much. Thanks for your response

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @sahr
I totally agree... you have responsibilities as an Attorney but you are not at all expected to use your own money to pay for your mother's care.. so it is important that you recoup that expense
It isn't deprivation of assets as that is someone deliberately hiding money or spending it or giving it away in order for it not to be available for the payment of care fees
If you are concerned, as jaymor suggests, keep/create a paper trail breaking down the payments you have made and when you recoup those payments just to show this is all 'above board'

sahr

Feb 18, 2014
Many thanks to you both for your responses. This is very reassuring. I will do it. I have already tracked and logged it on spreadsheets, with invoice numbers and invoices exist with the organisation who give care. And on my email. I will print it all off and also keep a log book paper trail .
Many thanks
Sahr

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonyati